Dropped 3 day old coturnix quail

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RaiseQuail777, Jun 23, 2017.

1. RaiseQuail777

RaiseQuail777 In the Brooder

May 8, 2017
    United States, FL
    I hold them every now and then to get them accustomed to handling so it would be easier to handle them in the future, but one of them jumped from my hand as I was going to put it back into the brooder box and fell about four feet down onto hardwood floor. It used to be the fastest chick in the box, but now it doesn't want to put weight on it's right leg and just lays in the straw. I picked it up again, closer to the ground this time, and held it's body between my thumb and forefinger and moved it forward to get it to move it's legs around like it's walking. It worked, and it seems like it has it's full range of motion in it's leg still but won't put weight on it. Do I need to just leave it alone and let it sleep in the brooder box or do I need to help it?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I would monitor very carefully to see that it does not get trampled or otherwise further injured by the other little ones in the brooder*and* is not impeded from drinking or eating. ...if either becomes a problem you'll need to isolate in a small icu so that food and water are easily accessible and he/she had a sage place to try to recover. Unfortunately all there is to do is provide supportive care and see if it recovers

3. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Crowing

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I would let it heal from possibly a sprain/injury without making it do things that might cause futher damage!

4. RaiseQuail777

RaiseQuail777 In the Brooder

May 8, 2017
    United States, FL
    I only made it walk to see if it had any limited motion in it's leg or if it was just completely immobile. I went to go look at it again and it seems like it's already putting more weight on it and is taking frequent breaks moving from point A to point B. I'll separate it from the others if necessary but they seem like they don't notice or care.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: