Dropped 4 day old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DanTaylor, Mar 4, 2011.

1. DanTaylor

DanTaylor Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
    Grand Junction
    I did the one thing I tell my kids not to do! I stood over the brooder box with a 4 day old chick and proceeded to drop her on her head. She fell about three feet. She seems to be fine eating, drinking, sleeping, pooping, and does not seem to be in distress. However she has a large marble size knot on her chest. Oh.... I feel awful. Any advise?

2. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    No advice. The little things are so delicate. She's eating and that's a good sign. I'll say a prayer for her tonight.

3. DanTaylor

Apr 5, 2009
    Grand Junction
    Thank you. She's still doing great this morning, I think it's just a goose egg. Maybe we should call her Lucky!

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Are you sure that the marble size knot on its chest is a result of injury and not just her crop?

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:My thoughts exactly... check some of the other chicks out and see if they have "lumps" on their chests as well. If you find any others, it's just the crop.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I'd keep an eye on her. But you said you dropped her on her head. One thing I would be thinking is she weighs absolutely nothing so theres not much impact from the fall.Everyone has dropped a few chicks . I doubt the fall caused her chest to swell up. I'm not a vet though.

7. DanTaylor

Apr 5, 2009
    Grand Junction
    I don't think it's her crop, none of the other chicks have it and her swelling is going down. Thanks for the comfort, I still feel a little sick about it. Poor thing!

8. DanTaylor

Apr 5, 2009
    Grand Junction
    I think she's fine she just tried to fly out of box!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  9. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    YEAH!!!! Happy news![​IMG]

10. AnimalLover99

AnimalLover99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    i dropped a chick a couple inches into the cage but it got right back up and ran around... its fine right? i was in the feedstore and i didnt by that one but i wanted to make sure it wasnt hurt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by