Dropped 4 day old chick

DanTaylor

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 5, 2009
Grand Junction
I did the one thing I tell my kids not to do! I stood over the brooder box with a 4 day old chick and proceeded to drop her on her head. She fell about three feet. She seems to be fine eating, drinking, sleeping, pooping, and does not seem to be in distress. However she has a large marble size knot on her chest. Oh.... I feel awful. Any advise?

No advice. The little things are so delicate. She's eating and that's a good sign. I'll say a prayer for her tonight.

I'd keep an eye on her. But you said you dropped her on her head. One thing I would be thinking is she weighs absolutely nothing so theres not much impact from the fall.Everyone has dropped a few chicks . I doubt the fall caused her chest to swell up. I'm not a vet though.

I don't think it's her crop, none of the other chicks have it and her swelling is going down. Thanks for the comfort, I still feel a little sick about it. Poor thing!

YEAH!!!! Happy news!
cool.png

i dropped a chick a couple inches into the cage but it got right back up and ran around... its fine right? i was in the feedstore and i didnt by that one but i wanted to make sure it wasnt hurt

Back
Top Bottom