Dropped a chick while removing it from incubator

FowlWitch

Songster
Jun 11, 2019
California
It fell from about 3 or so feet. I thought it may be okay because it didn't make any shrill calls, just a few loud peeps like it was confused (hard to describe the difference in sounds). I figured with the chick having a low terminal velocity due to being light weight, maybe the fall wasn't too bad and he would be okay...

Well, then his umbilical cord started to slowly leak globs of yolk, blood, and watery brown fluid. He stopped making noises after a few seconds and isn't moving very much. I wrapped him in a damp paper towel and placed him back in the incubator. I was so upset I started seeing spots in my vision and had to sit down :(

He's making very soft, quiet peeps and moving his head a little, but I think he's going to die. Is there anything else I can do for him?

WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGE

IMG_20190629_002444907.jpg

Please tell me this is just yolk and not his intestines :,(

I am no expert but I don't think that's his intestines. Maybe he didn't absorb his yolk all the way and the navel hasn't closed. I could be wrong, tho.
Did you assist this guy out of the egg? He may have not been ready to come out of his egg and came out too soon.
I don't think the fall has anything to do with what's going on.
Keep him still by placing him in a bowl or cup lined with a paper towel or cloth in the brooder so he can stay still and not be pecked by others.

I am no expert but I don't think that's his intestines. Maybe he didn't absorb his yolk all the way and the navel hasn't closed. I could be wrong, tho.
Did you assist this guy out of the egg? He may have not been ready to come out of his egg and came out too soon.
I don't think the fall has anything to do with what's going on.
Keep him still by placing him in a bowl or cup lined with a paper towel or cloth in the brooder so he can stay still and not be pecked by others.

I'm sure it was the fall because his stomach was fine when I pulled him ou, and there was no sign of yolk around the naval until after I picked him up from my floor. I hope you're right and that's just yolk, though.

No wet paper towels, that can chill him.

He's in the incubator rather than the brooder. The paper towels aren't wet, just slightly damp to the touch. I checked him right now and the paper towels are warm, so I don't think he'll be chilled. I didn't want to use dry paper towels out of concern the yolk or whatever sticking out of his navel would stick and make things worse. I also don't want his bare stomach dragging on the incubator floor because I can't wash it yet (I still have a pipped egg inside).

When I checked on him and took the photo, his voice was much louder and stronger. I'm hoping he'll feel better in the morning. Poor baby

I'm sure it was the fall because his stomach was fine when I pulled him ou, and there was no sign of yolk around the naval until after I picked him up from my floor. I hope you're right and that's just yolk, though.

He's in the incubator rather than the brooder. The paper towels aren't wet, just slightly damp to the touch. I checked him right now and the paper towels are warm, so I don't think he'll be chilled. I didn't want to use dry paper towels out of concern the yolk or whatever sticking out of his navel would stick and make things worse. I also don't want his bare stomach dragging on the incubator floor because I can't wash it yet (I still have a pipped egg inside).

When I checked on him and took the photo, his voice was much louder and stronger. I'm hoping he'll feel better in the morning. Poor baby

I hope so, too.
I still would put him in a cup or bowl lined with a cloth. If he tries to find his feet or other chicks start to hatch, it could be pulled out more and cause serious bleeding. He needs to be still and not able to drag his belly around. Plus if it is yolk it will continue to absorb so keeping him still is what I would suggest.

I hope so, too.
I still would put him in a cup or bowl lined with a cloth. If he tries to find his feet or other chicks start to hatch, it could be pulled out more and cause serious bleeding. He needs to be still and not able to drag his belly around. Plus if it is yolk it will continue to absorb so keeping him still is what I would suggest.

Okay, will do. I won't be going to bed for a few more hours, so I'll try to update then. Cross your fingers for me T_T

Back
Top Bottom