Dropped and cracked an egg, HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by artathart, Apr 12, 2011.

1. artathart

artathart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    I was candling and I dropped an egg on the table Stupid butter fingers!!!! Well it didnt break all the way but has a nice spliting crack in it. Baby is still moving around inside. I read somewhere to put wax on the crack???

*Updated to show WAX repair

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  2. Sancharosa

Sancharosa Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Thats what I have heard also, paraffin wax will seal up the cracks.

3. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    I did the same thing a while back and candle waxed it. The chick hatched just fine. The crack was small, though, and I really built the wax up so it wouldn't over-soften and come off in the incubator. Another poster on here also cracked an egg candling and put duct tape over it. When he/she posted (can't remember who it was) the egg was pipping but the duct tape was hard to get off.

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Oh no Art!! Things are just not going your way this hatch!! [​IMG] Sorry to hear this. Perhaps I rubbed off on you!

5. wezzerrs

wezzerrs New Egg

Mar 30, 2011
    wax will do the job. you must ack fast if the chick starts suckin air bones will develope and most likely have leg or toe problems

6. artathart

Mar 31, 2011
    Quote:I am nto sure if I acted fast enough. I have him/her all waxed up but it took about 20 mins to melt the wax and cover all the cracks. I hope my egg surgery will protect him/her. I did my very best.

7. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Please let us know how the chick does. You did a nice 'repair'!

8. artathart

Mar 31, 2011
    Quote:I will!!! I started with 26 eggs and I am down to 11 with two being possible quiters so every egg matters!!!!!

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Good job on the wax repair. Alot of members here have hatched out waxed chicks. ALOT!

10. artathart

Mar 31, 2011
    Quote:Thanks!!! I am very optomistic. I am going to candle in a little while and make sure he/she is still moving around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by