Dropped and cracked an egg while candling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLang, Mar 8, 2013.

1. AmyLang

AmyLang Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2012
    Curious as to thoughts from anyone with experience or knowledge on the subject. We are entering day 18...so I did a final candling. While doing so, I dropped an egg and it cracked on the air sac end. No fluids leaking, and I put it right back into the incubator. I will watch it closely for the next couple of days. Is it safe to leave in there? And any chance it can survive? I "thought" that I saw movement in the egg right after it happened and I had closed up the incubator...but I'm not sure. If I need to take it out, I want to do so before I risk the hatch of the others...

2. MapleLeaf86

MapleLeaf86 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2012
    DFW, Texas
    I've read before that people use things like a small amount of candle wax to seal cracks, as it prevents bacteria from entering and can still be easily cracked by the chick. I'm still new so I have no experience trying it myself.

3. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    I paint cracks with Elmer's Glue and a paintbrush, put it back in once it is dry. The rule is though if it hatches you have to name it Elmer. [​IMG]

4. AmyLang

Dec 15, 2012
    The crack (actually a few cracks) is a big enough crack to almost see into the egg....It isn't just a small crack. Would it still be safe to do this?

5. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Okay, all I have is my own experience with this, so I will tell you what has happened to me. I had a duck egg get caught in my turner, I hadn't put the rack back on the shelf right and it got caught and crunch! This was a day before lockdown.

It managed to pip, but the inner membrane was so dry from the crack, it was trapped in there, shrink wrapped.

If I could do it over again, I would have watched that one like a hawk, and as soon as it made a pip on that inner membrane, I would have been wetting it regularly and slowly peeling it off and out. It was SO dry. I think the crack just let it get too super dry in the air cell and spelled its doom.

6. AmyLang

Dec 15, 2012
    Thank you for the info! I have been trying to come up with a way to do something similar. I'm curious about a tube through the vent with a small syringe to keep it wet when it gets to that point?? That is...if it ever does get to that point. hmmmmmm.....

My original thought was that I had just killed the chick. But...the more I thought about it. If it hasn't broken through, and IF the cracks are at the air sac only, then there might be a chance for it???

7. MapleLeaf86

Dec 1, 2012
    DFW, Texas
    Until you know otherwise, I'd always assume it's alive. Animals sometimes show to be amazingly strong.

8. AmyLang

Dec 15, 2012
    Thank you...I'm hoping. Keeping fingers crossed. And sidenote...I didn't think it was immediately dead...but prognosis-wise...figured that I had just determined it's fate...

9. AmyLang

Dec 15, 2012
    The egg is still moving a bit here and there. I have about 5 of them wiggling around just a bit...so this is a good sign.

10. MapleLeaf86

Dec 1, 2012
    DFW, Texas
    Yay! Hang in there little egg (and Amy!)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by