Dropped dead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Silkie-lover33, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Silkie-lover33

Silkie-lover33 Chillin' With My Peeps

I got a Polish chicken that is about 2 months old with weepy eyes. Well today it's friends were out and scratching around and she was standing all puffed up, she wouldn't come out of the coop in the morning. Her eye was very weepy, so weepy in fact that the eye was sealed up. She seemed to be very thirsty but wouldn't drink. We gave her about a half a dropper full of water with some colloidal silver for infection. Then she started to pump her neck up and down and shake her head violently, emitting little squawks as if she couldn't swallow and was starting to choke. She started to get lethargic all of a sudden and was like "rolling" her head. Well then I took her under a heatlamp and set her down and she starting flapping and squawking so I picked her up. Then all of a sudden she just died and was stiff almost immediately. We buried her body away from the other chickens in the front yard. Before we covered her up we let her friends see her (who are doing very well)... it didn't seem to faze them! What do you think made her die? Is it contagious and if so how do we keep the others from catching it? Help!!

2. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    did she have snot coming out of her nose too? if so sounds like Coryza get Sulmet - treament for Coccidiosis, Infectious Coryza, Acute Fowl Cholora, and Pullorum Disease should be able to find it at local feed store srry to hear u lost i my first hatched baby chicks got either coryza or cocci from a silkie chick that i brought home and i had put them together BIG MISTAKE on my end first the silkie chick died next day and then one by one the next week my chicks started to die so i got Sulmet to save the last one in time

3. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    by way it is contagious and would start some meds and starting treating the others jsut in case cuz even if they dont get sick they can still get others sick here's site that helps also a site u can take a look at kind of help u out as well as asking ppl on here http://www.raising-chickens.org/common-chicken-ailments.html

4. Silkie-lover33

Thanks! The chicken didn't have any snot coming out of her nose but the lady I got it from had a chicken with Coccidiosis. My Polish hadn't been flapping much, actually the only time she flapped was right before she died. I have had her for about a month and none of the other chickens seem to be getting anything. In the beginning she was housed with a Silkie with wry neck and he recovered. But I have 3 others from the same lady so they might be carriers!! Arg![​IMG]

5. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    If the choking symptoms began soon after the dropper water, wonder if some possibly could have entered the windpipe.

She sounded very ill, and often by the time they even show any symptoms it can be too late. I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

6. Silkie-lover33

Yeah, I gave her some water and she wouldn't drink it. She seemed to have a hard time drinking before anything was obvious, she also had a hard time eating. Glad her friends don't miss her (from what I can tell).

7. theparrotletdude

theparrotletdude Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    So sad ): Take the rest of your chickens to a good avian vet for a check up. You might want to keep the carrier chickens isolated from the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by