Dropped egg on top of another egg!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Snowchicken56, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Snowchicken56

Snowchicken56 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    Maine
    My 5 shipped eggs are on day 17. All are doing well, so I am hoping they all make it to lockdown tomorrow. Well, I am an idiot and last night I was candeling to check out the aircells, and when I went to put one back, it slipped out of my hand and hit another of the eggs. It was only a few inches, and there are no cracks in either of the eggs, but I am so worried that the hard jostling of the egg might have hurt the chick inside! I could still see it's little foot moving when I candled again a few minutes later, but I haven't checked since. Has anyone else done this? Hoping it will be alright!

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    If the eggs weren't cracked, all should be well. You might want to candle for cracks, but at this late stage you may not even see a crack b/c the egg is so full. What ever you do, don't do a float test on those eggs.

3. Snowchicken56

Snowchicken56 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    Maine
    Thank you! I felt terrible, I should have just let them be. I think I will skip any candling on day 18, and just go straight to lockdown that night and hope for the best!

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by