"Dropped" egg with coating. What is it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bawkbawkbawk, May 29, 2010.

1. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Every now and then I will find an egg under the roosts where the girls sleep at night instead of in the nesting box area. I'm pretty sure these eggs are being laid by my Light Brahma. They always have kind of a white-ish coating on them, Does anyone know what's going on with this? Excess calcium? Are they safe to eat? Normal egg on the left; weird one on the right.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Yep excess calcium they are fine to eat

3. Falcon61

Falcon61 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    I have one hen that lays eggs that look like a porcipine. Lack of potasium I guess, but all the others are fine so I think it's just her. It may smooth out. I'd eat it. mmm

4. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Does excess calcium cause her to lay on the roost? Or is she just too lazy to head over to the nesting area?

5. Falcon61

May 5, 2010
    You should put an egg in the box and see if she gets it. Gotta train'em sometimes.

6. Falcon61

May 5, 2010
    Light Brahma is a big girl. The dont like there nest to high. Atleast mine don't. And it needs to be big enough for there liking. Maybe your roost is to comfey and you should rename it nest.?

7. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    Arizona
    I get excess calcium on my eggs, its powerdry and washes off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by