Dropped fertilized egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sharaw20, Sep 17, 2016.

1. sharaw20

sharaw20 Just Hatched

Sep 17, 2016
    My fertilized eggs are 12 day today. I went out last night to show my husband what I think is a fertilized egg as it is dark and there is a air sack in the eggs. Where the rest of my eggs just glow. No darkness. Anyways. My fingers slipped and I dropped the egg [​IMG]But I have shaving and hay on the floor so there is padding. I would say it dropped about a foot to two feet. I looked over the egg and there was no cracking. I went out to check the egg this morning and it still looks dark with the blood veins and the air pocket at the bottom. Please tell me the chick will be ok.

We got our chickens at the beginning of this summer and one of my hens went broody. So I got some fertile eggs to see, so this is my first time with the fertilized eggs.

Please help I feel so bad. I didn't sleep at all last night.

Thank you.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC! I can't promise that the embryo will be o.k. but it sounds from your description that it had a soft landing and a not too great a fall, so it may be! [​IMG]

3. sharaw20

sharaw20 Just Hatched

Sep 17, 2016
    Thank you. Now so to. I bought a dozen eggs. And from what I see only one is fertilized [​IMG]so I am hoping so to. Thanks

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Fingers crossed! Keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by