Dropped it....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JulieNKC, Jun 14, 2011.

1. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I am on day 22. My broodies moved. There were 2 eggs not hatched yet. I picked them up to bring in and put under a heat lamp since 1 had started to zip and I dropped the other one. At least half the shell came off, but I don't think the membrane broke. There isn't any blood I can see, and the chick is still peeping, although both eggs are pretty quiet, I think from being cold. Any hope for it? I feel so stupid. [​IMG]
    They are warmed up now, it's still peeping pretty loud. Will it be able to hatch with no shell or will it have to be helped? If so, when?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. 2overeasy

2overeasy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    It's been 45 minutes since you've posted this: what has happened?? I don't have an answer for you, I'm very sorry, but I am interested to see if your babies made it. Last week when my EE hen was hatching over a 3 day period, I saw one just like this when I checked on her. It wasn't under her, though, and it was already cold and dead. I thought the same thing, that it hadn't broken out of its membrane. I'm not an expert - this is my first year with broody hens and I've asked many, many questions here - but I think it suffocated. I hope your babies live. Sorry I wasn't any help :-(

3. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    you might need to keep a moist paper towel over it....

4. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:I have the little end wrapped in a damp paper towel. I pulled a little piece of broken shell off, and there is a drop or 2 of blood in there, not as much as I'd expect for an egg that smashed though. I can see her beak through the hole, so I know at least she can breath. I am leaving her alone for a few hours to get some strength back I guess, and if she doesn't make any progress maybe I'll help. I don't think it'll take much for her to break out when ready, but I'm not sure if she can move since the shells all broken and she can't get any leverage.

5. LuvMyBLR

LuvMyBLR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    New Boston, NH
    Quote:I have the little end wrapped in a damp paper towel. I pulled a little piece of broken shell off, and there is a drop or 2 of blood in there, not as much as I'd expect for an egg that smashed though. I can see her beak through the hole, so I know at least she can breath. I am leaving her alone for a few hours to get some strength back I guess, and if she doesn't make any progress maybe I'll help. I don't think it'll take much for her to break out when ready, but I'm not sure if she can move since the shells all broken and she can't get any leverage.

If you're worried about leverage, maybe you can put the big end facing a corner of whatever you have the eggs in so the shell will brace against that? or even put it up against a towel wrapped up? Good luck! i will be subscribed! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  6. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    How is it doing? I had a mama squash an egg apart like this right after it pipped. I put it in the bator and kept watch. Opened a little hole in the membrane and when I could see the blood in the veins was mostly absorbed, slowly peeled the membrane away. Keep it moist and move slowly. [​IMG]

7. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    I hope the chick hatches ok. Keep us posted!!!!

8. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    She's still breathing and peeping loud. I'm just going to leave her alone for now and see what she can do on her own. I'm not sure, but I don't think she'd externally pipped before I dropped her so she might need awhile to come out. I would think getting smashed would signal to the poor thing to huury up and get done so she can get out though. If she/he makes it, definately going to have to mark her as a keeper, she deserves it after this.

9. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    It looks like there are a few bruises under the membrane, so I think she may have bled a bit more than I thought. It all looks black now though, not fresh so I think it stopped. Going to give her til around 6 or so, then cross my fingers and help her out. She's still breathing, and peeping, but not as loud, so am afraid to let her go much longer than that.

10. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I started pulling back the membrane, and the blood vessels had all dried up. She's out now, and has a little bit of unabsorbed yolk. Now I guess I just have to wait until tomorrow to see if she makes it. Her egg was really little before it got smashed, I was beginning to think she was stuck and couldn't pip, so maybe she was ready to come out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by