1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dropped wing, droopy head, unbalanced

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Zambezie, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Zambezie

Zambezie New Egg

Apr 6, 2009
    Hello I have just joined your website, we have 2 chicken just over 12 months old. Last week we noticed ones wing had dropped, about a week later her head was cocked to one side and she was unbalanced, not able to move very far. Would anyone know what has caused this and is our other chicken in danger of catched it?

many thanks Cloudy

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    WELCOME to BYC.

I would separate the two.

If you can't take your ill one to a vet, make certain that it's getting plenty of liquid.

Have you noticed what it's poop looks like, is it eating at all?

Any other symptoms?

Do a search on here for your chicken's symptoms, that may help you find a solution.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  3. Zambezie

Zambezie New Egg

Apr 6, 2009
    Thank you for your reply

The chicken hasn't been eating and its poop is green in colour, her tail feathers are also very dirty/messy and she has been making a crying sound. She also has a urine type smell about her.

4. Zambezie

Zambezie New Egg

Apr 6, 2009
    Thanks for the tip on the website to look up symptoms it sounds like this....Newcastle Disease
    Decscription below:
    If nervous disorders develop, they may consist of paralysis of one or both wings and legs or a twisting of the head and neck. The head often is drawn over the back or down between the legs. Mortality may vary from none to total loss of the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by