Dropper feeding meds not successful

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nincomcoop, Feb 19, 2011.

1. nincomcoop

nincomcoop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    [​IMG] Help! Any tips on feeding meds with a dropper (needleless syringe)? All my attempts result in a struggle with the hen doing a turtle impersonation with her neck going in/out, in/out and I can't get her to open her beak.

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] I'm sorry your hen is sick. You could try squirting the liquid Rx on a bit of bread and have her eat it. That is assuming she's feeling well enough to eat. I hope this helps you both!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Its very hard to get one to open it's mouth when it doesn't want too, wrap the chicken in a towel that way it's not able to fight you as much, then try to open it's mouth, but you have to be extremely careful not to get the meds down into the lungs, I would suggest dribbling it on the side of it's bill where the upper and lower meet, most of the time they'll drink it that way, and good luck. hope she feels better too and as the other poster said try giving on some sort of food.

4. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    Hold the bird's head with the back of it resting on the web between your thumb and forefinger, hold the bird against your body with your arm pinning the outside wing against it's body. tilt her head back till the beak is vertical.....her beak will naturally open. Pinch the jaw gently with your forefinger and thumb to hold it open...squirt the syringe with the other hand. It works like a champ.....a bird vet taught me the technique. (also works on kittens).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by