Dropping Boards - Does height matter on the last roost?

UNIchicks

Hatching
Apr 20, 2016
Hi,

We just put our 6 week old chicks (15 of them) in their coop. How high should the last roost be from the dropping board?

We have only two inches and the chicks are walking around on the dropping board? Anything to be concerned with?

I notice from pics everyone else seems to have more space?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Our first time raising chickens! Our 4 kids are loving the experience!

Hi,
How high should the last roost be from the dropping board?

Any advice appreciated.

Poop boards should be located higher than your nest boxes an preferably the highest spot for roosting through the night.
I have my 2x4 roost 3½ inches from my poop board.

I find the spacing ideal it saves the day when eggs are laid through the night while they are roosting.

I have my roost in cups and can just put them to one side when cleaning the board.

Nest boxes
In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. Feed bags are a nylon mesh bag.
Frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry.

I have 65 trips around the sun it is the best method I have stumbled upon.

Make sure the twine is removed from the open end of the bag it can get tangled around your birds.

Easy peasy!.

Chicken coop is salvaged 4x8 metal shed.

My roost over my poop boards is very similar to this photo (except my roost are resting on the lower 2x4).
I recently friction fit a piece of vinyl flooring over my poop board.it makes clean up even easier; Pop out; Scrap; Hose; Pop in.

Winter months even easier flex over compost bin DONE!

Easy peasy

Back
Top Bottom