Dropping Eggs all over

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by basketmom, Dec 14, 2009.

1. basketmom

basketmom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2009
    Hi everyone,

I have a question. I am new to raising chickens. I have 10 chickens and and they are 5 months old and started laying about 4 weeks ago. However, once in awhile I will find a egg on the floor, by the pop door, and today in the outside run. Maybe once a week I am finding one egg like that. I am averaging 6 eggs a day out of the nesting boxes. So I guess my question is, why am I finding an egg in weird places, and how do you figure out who it is, and how do you change it? Or is this normal with chickens and something I shouldn't worry about.

2. jrleader99

jrleader99 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think that it is a matter of time before they consistently lay in the nest boxes. I was having a similar issue during the summer when my birds started laying. Actually they were burying them in the corners of my coop under the roosts so I had to go digging in the straw to find the little treasures. Finally they have stopped that and they are all laying in the nest boxes.

Another thought is that maybe they don't find the nest box comfy. Make sure that there is plenty of bedding in there and possibly place it in a dark corner. I have also seen where people will put something over the next box opening to give them more privacy - kind of like the doors on bathroom stalls (just kidding).

Good luck and enjoy.

3. meathook

meathook Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2009
    Our ladies just started laying on Friday. We haven't had any in the nest box yet. Two hard shells by the person door and three soft shelled eggs have been found on the chicken wire that is over the poop board under the roost. I hope they figure it out soon.

4. dacdeihl

dacdeihl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    NorthEast, In
    They will get the hand of it. It takes some a while to figure it out. I still have one that will drop one while still on her roost. Yuck!! Try leaving some eggs in one or I've heard of some people putting a couple gold balls in there or wooden eggs in there for motivation. There are just like people... some need a little more time in understanding what they are supposed to do. HEHE

5. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Found 3 eggs dropped on poop plank this AM. That is a record. Never before more than one. I was just in time because a chook was investigating it and I swatted her off of the plank. No way I am letting that behavior get a toehold. I figure I got three newbies coming online. They soon figure it out. in my case at least. Hope that continues. [​IMG]

6. basketmom

basketmom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2009
    Thanks everyone, I kinda figured it was because they were newbies. I just put a wooden egg in each box and hopefully whomever she is will figure it out [​IMG] By the way, did I tell you how much I love this site! Everything I have learned thus far is by postings on this site, and everyone who raises chickens and then sees my babies tells me how healthy they look. I know it's corny but I'm such a proud mama [​IMG]

7. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Another thing to consider is to confine them to coop for several days. Monitor progress.

Also make sure nests lower than roosts. Otherwise they will overnight in nests and fill them with poop. I have nests at 24" ht and roosts at 48" ht. They hop up to poop plank edge and on up to roost. I never have poop in any of my 12 nests. I also have two on floor just in case and never but one egg in it. No poop in it ever either. I must have pretty good girls! [​IMG]

8. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Quote:Basket mom do not feel bad. If you read my blog from the start about our chickens you will see what some others go thru. Sounds like you might need another nest box. When I had simular problem I looked them up for the whole day. But always have a golfball or wooden egg in helps. I also try not to collect till later in day so they can see a nest full of eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by