Dropping eggs from roost? Soft egg?

stormrobin

Songster
7 Years
Mar 1, 2017
Idaho
I have a chicken that has layed an egg from the roost. This has happened twice. Not sure if it's the same chicken or not. They just started laying. And the one dropped from the roost tonight was also soft. The shell was paper thin. Is there anything I can do to help both of these problems?

Attachments

• IMG_1409.JPG
    IMG_1409.JPG
    888.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1410.JPG
    IMG_1410.JPG
    930.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1411.JPG
    IMG_1411.JPG
    972.8 KB · Views: 5
As long as they have layers feed or general flock feed with optional oyster shell then don't worry - it's perfectly normal. It can take while for new layers to sort out their egg laying system.

As long as they have layers feed or general flock feed with optional oyster shell then don't worry - it's perfectly normal. It can take while for new layers to sort out their egg laying system.
They are on a layer feed. :) what about dropping eggs from the roost. This is now two that have hit the ground. My other 7 eggs have been in the nest boxes. Do I need to put a golf ball or fake egg in there to help with the one laying from the roost?

They are on a layer feed. :) what about dropping eggs from the roost. This is now two that have hit the ground. My other 7 eggs have been in the nest boxes. Do I need to put a golf ball or fake egg in there to help with the one laying from the roost?
You can try, but I doubt it would make a difference. Chickens cannot see at night, so if the urge to lay happens on a night, then they will not move to a nest box to lay, they'll simply lay from the roost. It's not a long term issue and it will sort itself out soon.

You can try, but I doubt it would make a difference. Chickens cannot see at night, so if the urge to lay happens on a night, then they will not move to a nest box to lay, they'll simply lay from the roost. It's not a long term issue and it will sort itself out soon.
Oh ok. Thank you. :)

When ours first started laying there were a few eggs found on the poopboard. It sometimes takes a while for new layers to learn that nestboxes are the places to lay.

All of the above....plus I think softies 'feel weird' so they don't always feel the need to go to a nest like with a hard shelled egg.

Back
Top Bottom