Dropping the egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mschwartz815, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Mschwartz815

Mschwartz815 New Egg

Aug 8, 2010
    Yesterday our buff orpinton was sitting on the roosting perch up in the nesting box, she laid her egg and it fell about a foot and just barely cracked. I was the second time she as laid eggs, first was friday. The first eggs were really small. The dropped one was full size and had 2 yolks. Why would she launch eggs from the perch??

2. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    She's just a young oblivious hen and hasn't figured out the "urges" connected with laying yet, so she didn't get off the perch in time. Mine did that more often while outside walking about. "Man, my stomach hurts... *grunt* *pop*! Holy cow, what's that!?" She'll figure it out.

3. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    Quote:HA![​IMG]

I just know that's what mine are gonna do the first time around!

4. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Yeah, every so often a new layer misses the memo... "Lay in the NEST" She will eventually get it. You might put golf balls in your nest, if you haven't already.It's like when an old dog lets wind... they turn around and go "hey what was that???" [​IMG] Some young hens just don't get it [​IMG]

5. Mschwartz815

Mschwartz815 New Egg

Aug 8, 2010
    So far I have gotten 4 eggs(1 today) all very small except the dropped one. Thanks for the responce
    Quote:

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. QuinnP

QuinnP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:LMAO!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. AnnainMD

AnnainMD Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    And then when your 5 yo son keeps checking for the eggs and only finds golf balls he says, "Why do they keep laying golf balls? They're supposed to lay EGGS!!" [​IMG]

Don't worry, they'll figure it out.

9. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    I have one hen that still hasn't figured out how to lay her eggs in the nest. She sits until it's almost ready to pop and then she jumps out and walks around looking very uncomfortable until the egg drops out. I find them all over and I've seen it a few times, so I know it's just wherever she happens to be standing at the moment. Duh!!

10. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    I have one hen that still hasn't figured out how to lay her eggs in the nest. She sits until it's almost ready to pop and then she jumps out and walks around looking very uncomfortable until the egg drops out. I find them all over and I've seen it a few times, so I know it's just wherever she happens to be standing at the moment. Duh!! And she's been laying for about 8 months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by