Droppings Boards Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ADozenGirlz, Jan 11, 2010.

1. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Can I get some visual assistance on the installation of droppings boards in our coop? I've attached the photo below of our first version of our droppings pit. It works OK, but is heavy to remove for cleaning and I think we could better use the space below the roosts. I'm just not sure what droppings boards would look like IF we are even able to use them in this coop with the roost formation, staggered, one above the other. Any advice and all photo suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!!

[​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Ideally, it would be great if you could raise your roosts a few inches, simply because then, with a dropping board, the chickens would actually be able to use the space beneath. But it looks like it would be simple for you to do even as is. Just nail some 2x4 supports along the sides and back wherever you want to put a plank of some kind, preferable a few inches below your lowest roost. A thin piece of plywood would be fine. Scraps of vinyl flooring tacked or glued on would make clean up SO easy. My board is a slick kind of paneling I just have resting on a leftover piece of T1-11. Anything will work really... I LOVE having a dropping board!

[​IMG]

My 2x4 supports are underneath the left and back sides. I had to finagle a brace on the side that connects to my nest boxes. But it looks like yours would simply run wall to wall...???

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  3. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    That is a HUGE help, particularly the photo.Thanks a million!

4. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Here is mine, (The roost goes all the way accross the wall now.) I ran out of linoleum so I put a piece of cardboard down and throw the whole thing in the compost pile when I clean up the poop board.

[​IMG]

5. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Do the chickens not walk on the droppings board? That seems to me to be one of the benefits of having a droppings pit, so that they're not walking on their waste.

6. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Wait! I have a grea idea! it looks like a perfect spot to put a bin underneath. you know the ones you put clothes in and stuff. just throw it under and dump when full! Like 6.99 @ walmart :)

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

It looks like patman's will be set up like yours (if you do one). My birds will occasionally walk around on it, usually after I've cleaned it and thrown a few handfuls of litter up there (to absorb, make scrape offs easy). They get up there and peck around at the litter. And I have seen birds step onto it to get around another bird on the roost (not sure why, since they could just hop on the other roost). But they don't "hang out" there or anything...lol. You have to figure, it stays pretty clean until they roost there at night. I USUALLY scrape mine first thing in the morning. But if you figure that your chickens are mostly outside during the day, they aren't on the roosts too much during the day, so if scraping it waited till PM, that would be okay too...

8. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Here's my dropping board:
    [​IMG]

It is actually a "tray" with 2 by 2 along the sides, linoleum on bottom and filled with Stall Dry. I use a kitty litter scoop, and sift out the poo every few days. I got this idea from another BYCer and I really like it--I hated the pooey streaks on the board before. I never really see anyone IN the tray, they just use the edge to get to the roost and back down.

1 person likes this.
  9. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    Your edges look pretty sharp in the photo. You might want to round them off more with sand paper.
    Here's mine, when it was new - and clean!
    [​IMG]

10. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:The edges aren't actually sharp, they were sanded. Thanks though. I love that your droppings board is removable! Not too shabby a view from the roost for your girlz! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by