Drowned chick, now zombie chick...think we're past the emergency part?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by arockkid, Oct 24, 2011.

1. arockkid

arockkid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Buffalo NY
    Yesterday while doing yardwork, I realized our one lonely 4 week old silkie chick was missing...started looking, when my husband found it in a bin of water (that I meant to empty about 10 different times!).
    He yelled to me that it was dead, a soaking freezing floppy noodle.
    I took it in the house and started using the blow dryer on it....and saw it's eyelids moving slightly....5 minutes later it was breathing. An hour or so later it was holding it's head up. 2 hours and it was totally perked up and eating.
    All seems fine except with one leg, that just seems to not be working...very little movement and can't walk around on it.
    I'm hoping it will get some movement back, and it can stand, and perch but not walk.
    Any tips or pointers?
    He is now dubbed "Noodlehead", hope he pulls through!
    Here he is recovering under watchful eyes.
    [​IMG]

2. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    I hope he recovers, too! That is an amazing picture. [​IMG]

3. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

You could try some physical therapy. Hold the chick with feet and belly facing you. Take a pencil or pen and push it against the bottom of the feet to try and get the chick to push back. If it doesn't work, he may have too much pain. He may have just injured the muscle struggling to get out. Either that or the oxygen deprivation caused some kind of neurological damage and you've got yourself a one-legged chicken. Either way, he's still a lucky chick.

4. arockkid

Feb 28, 2011
    Buffalo NY
    Oh my gosh, if you told me 10 months ago when I got chickens that I would be giving them physical therapy, I wouldn't have believed you.
    As if my friends don't think I'm crazy enough already.

I don't think it's a neurological thing, because aside from the foot, all is normal....and he can extend the leg behind him (you know....that chicken stretch), both wings are okay, the other leg seems a bit lethargic but does what it's supposed to do...it's just when he tries to take a step, his toes seem floppy, so he kinda trips.

I tried taking him back out to mama to see if she could perk him up, but I am starting to think she PUSHED him in, because she couldn't care less about him now. [​IMG]
    Anyway, he seems totally content hanging out with the indoor farm where he doesn't get stepped on, and it's a cozy 70degrees.

5. jamesnoldsr

jamesnoldsr Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    North Central Texas
    He's better off inside with y'all. Mom dropped the ball and he paid the price for being the adventurous type. Good thing you tried the resuscitation! I bet his leg comes around- just give it a little time. Meanwhile you've got a new little house pet![​IMG]

6. arockkid

Feb 28, 2011
    Buffalo NY
    He's back to walking around, though not perfectly, though is totally happy, eating, scratching, grooming...
    I totally resurrected a chicken!

7. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    A little zombie chick. How cool. Glad its doing better.

8. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    That pic is PRECIOUS I love it! [​IMG] So glad you're little Noddlehead is recovering! [​IMG]

9. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I am glad your chick is doing better. [​IMG] You will need to keep an eye (and an ear) on her for the next few days. If you start hearing clicking sounds when she breathes, you will need to treat with antibiotics. The condition is called aspiration pneumonia. Hopefully you won't have to deal with that. [​IMG]

10. lbartsch

lbartsch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    That is the most amazing photo! I am so glad your chick is recovering well. Good job taking care of a tough situation!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by