Drowning accident

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rcolive, Mar 26, 2012.

1. rcolive

rcolive New Egg

Mar 26, 2012
    My Silkies and my Ducks are living together. My ducks have a plastic pool. Yesterday one of my little roosters ended up in the pond and drowned. What a horrible site.I need some help on building a safer pond for my ducks so my chickens can not drown in the duck pool.Does anybody have any tips and ideas what can help.

2. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    So sorry for your loss. @ this point I have only chickens and turkeys... But my dad had ducks w/ our flock. They ducks got to free range, the hens had to stay in the run.

3. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Can you divide the area into 2 sections until the chicks are a bit bigger?

4. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Less water in the pool, multiple ramps in the pool so any chicks can get out.

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I won't have your silkies with your ducks. A silkies can't repel water off its feathers as a regular chicken. So they stay wet for a while, which probably makes them heavier and not be able to fly out.

6. rcolive

rcolive New Egg

Mar 26, 2012
    Thanks everybody. I am thinking of making a different design with very shallow sides and rocks to walk in to a pond so there is no more climbing boarder and hopefully that will also help with the accident falling in so there could walk out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by