Drowning chickens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rawketstarling, Jul 23, 2013.

1. rawketstarling

rawketstarling Hatching

Jul 23, 2013
    My ducks & chickens share a coop & run. They're fairly young still so space isn't the issue. I want to keep a small pool for the two ducks, but I've heard chickens will drown themselves. The gentleman I bought everyone from has all sorts of birds together, with several stock tanks used as ponds in his poultry yard so I'm not sure how credible that rumor is. How easily do chickens drown in duck pools? Right now it's just a large metal bowl but I'd HATE to come home to that. Any experience would be helpful!

2. Alicev26

Alicev26 In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2013
    I have hens and ducks, and the ducks have pools which the hens never go in unlike the ducks, all they do is take a drink every now and then, with no risk of drowning. When hens get older unless its a crazy silkie (I heard they love water) then they know how to drink without drowning themselves unlike chicks.

3. kaybats

kaybats Songster

Jun 4, 2011
    My ducks have their own pen and I have two pools in there for them and a smaller turtle shaped pool in the "community" area. My chickens are forever invading the duck pen but they never go in the pools.

I did however have a hatch early this summer and found a chick in one of the water dishes. :(

Needless to say all watering stations were changed out to the little chick waterers and the turtle pool was kept empty til the chicks got bigger.

Good luck and have fun with your birds!

4. rawketstarling

rawketstarling Hatching

Jul 23, 2013
    Thanks for your feedback! I have been wanting a separate duck pen, but I wasn't sure if it was necessary, but I know as everyone grows up and the flock expands I'll need another space. I wanted to make sure the chickens weren't in danger until then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: