Drowning chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by angela56124, Jun 9, 2009.

1. angela56124

angela56124 In the Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    I have a 1 gallon waterer with a base abot 2in high and 2in wide. If I put it in with my chicks can they drown in it my dad's friend has the same for his chicks and he said a few will die but he orders about 50 at 1 time and I only ordered 10 so if a couple died that would be a large loss. Should I put marbles in it or just use a plate. Please use advice so my little guys wont die [​IMG]

2. Beau coop

Beau coop Songster

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Put marbles in the base where the water is. Then if the chicks happen to fall in they can get back out. They will drink the water from in between the marbles.

3. WingingIt

WingingIt Songster

Apr 16, 2009
    Yep, marbles or clean small rocks (marble sized). Works great. [​IMG]

4. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Songster

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Yes, the marbles work great! But boy marbles are expensive! [​IMG] Then chicks are worth every cent tho!!

5. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Songster

Marbles would be my choice as well!
    [​IMG]

6. How old do they have to be before drowning isn't an issue? Mine are 4 weeks, and I keep rocks in the base, but it would be nice to skip that step (but not at the expense of a birdie..)

7. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    At four weeks old, I would say they are fine without marbles...

Are they full size or just bantams?

8. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Songster

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    I used those glass pebbles that are used in flower arranging. I had those and didn't have marbles. They worked perfectly! I think I had them in the waterer for about a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: