Drowning in Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazy chook, Jul 10, 2010.

1. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    If I leave the eggs in egg cartons to hatch, do they have a greater chance of drowning? Should I now lay them down for lockdown?

Eggs are at day 17 in a Homemade incubator, fan forced. Temp steady, humidity to day 18 40-45% lockdown at 60-65%

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. crazy chook

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Anyone, I am about to lockdown. [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I always set mine with the fat end up in cut out cartons to hatch. I think it's easier for them... although I had some hatch under a broody on their sides.

The cartons keeps the early hatchers from playing soccer with the remaining eggs.

4. crazy chook

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    I left half of them in the cartons and layed the others down, Will see how we go...[​IMG]

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I've hatched with the eggs laying on the sides as recommended by the incubator manufacturer, and they did OK but they could have done better. My next hatch I'll do like you, put half in a carton and leave half on their sides just to see what happens. The results of just one hatch is not conclusive, but if you get a few results from a few different hatches, you start to get a trend. Please let us know what happens.

6. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I hatch mine laying on their sides, but I think I may try a couple in a carton next hatch.... They're in a turner and they've positioned themselves vertically during that whole time. I've also had a problem with chicks pipping on the bottom and I haven't been able to see them, so they've died when they've been on their sides. I think vertically will probably keep this from happening or cut down on it.

7. mlove

mlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    Please let us know how your hatch goes. I'm curious to see what ratio you get in the carton vs on their sides.

8. Lesalynn

Lesalynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Darnell, Louisiana
    Which type of carton is it better to use?? Cardboard or what?

9. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Styrofoam doesn't absorb as much moisture..good luck and keep us posted

10. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    I had 36 eggs that was on their sides the entire time in my last hatch. I had a wonderful hatch with these babies. I wish I had a camera so you guys could see how adorable my babies are. They are pure rhode island reds, buff turkens, red turkens and black turkens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by