Drownings in Louisiana

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by australorpchick, Aug 4, 2010.

1. australorpchick

australorpchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
    How awful for that family, to lose so many kids, in such an avoidable way. I can somewhat understand going nearby water for an outing, but who in their right mind, would let their kids in the water without safety devices, when no one in the party can swim?!

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Do you have a link to the story?
    WHat happend?

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Family outing to a local lake. Kids were in the water playing. It is apparently a well known area that is known to be dangerous. The water is shallow for a bit and then there is a sudden drop off into deep water. It seems the kids (teenagers) went out a little too far. The first one went in and the others tried to save them. All six drowned. No one (including the kids) could swim. Three were from one family and the other three from another. That kind of loss is just unimaginable. [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Good god... Thats so sad. Ugh... Those poor families. [​IMG]

5. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    They were just wading in the water thought they would be on ground and then the floor shifted and made a sink hole they had to float, swim, or drowned. The later happened since they did not know how to swim but they had no idea this would happen.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

While sad, I have to question the mental capacity of 20 different people, NONE who know how to swim, going to a RIVER for a BBQ and swimming. What were they thinking letting their kids, who CAN'T SWIM, wade out 3 feet in a river.

7. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:Happens ALL the time ... all the time. [​IMG]

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Perhaps it's time to discuss water rescue with your children. Even if you can swim it is difficult to rescue a person in trouble. The best thing to do is try to get to them with a floatation device. Even a tree branch would help. Something anything that floats. Never never never try to let a drowning panicing person hold on to you. They will pull you under.

It's extremely sad that anyone can live near water and not know how to swim or have some sort of rescue training.

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Very sad for the losses, but Debi, that was my very first thought, too. Hopefully something good will come of this.

There has been discussion here of mandatory swimming classes for all kids - but who's going to pay for it? Just last year a family drowned while being ferried at night back to the island they lived on. Ferry foundered - and though the folks grew up and lived on a island, they couldn't swim!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by