Drowsy, panting two day old (please help!!)

bingding

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 28, 2013
I also posted this in the illness forum but adding it here too if anyone can help

this is newton (on the ground, dark grey)

Newton sleeps almost constantly, I've been to check multiple times a day and he's usually in his huddled position passed out on the floor of the brooder. Ive seen him get up and roam a little, eat and occasionally drink. he is very responsive to noise and touch (will lift his head and look around). He doesn't seem nearly as active yet sometimes breathes with his beak open(others do this too, but they dont flee from the heat lamp).
Is this a sickness/chest infection? is he just drowsy? too hot? dehydrated possibly? could there be a leg issue?
I know its not pasty butt i check every so often and they're all clean.

the temp is good, ive just checked. I recently lost a chick to similar conditions. He just woke in a start, almost a spasm. He just pooed a little and had some more water, walked around a bit and fell back asleep. I'm not sure whats up but its not having the same effect on the other chicks. Should i try giving him some sugar water?

the temp is good, ive just checked. I recently lost a chick to similar conditions. He just woke in a start, almost a spasm. He just pooed a little and had some more water, walked around a bit and fell back asleep. I'm not sure whats up but its not having the same effect on the other chicks. Should i try giving him some sugar water?
You can also put vinegar in their water, they love the flavor and it's a natural antibiotic.

What do you mean by the temp is good?

Overheating is way more dangerous than being a little cool, and way more common. Panting is a sign of overheating, as are listlessness and holding the wings away from the body. Does your brooder have a place to get totally, completely out from under the heat lamp? A spot that's room temperature, whatever that may be? I'd take the chick out from under the heat and start hydrating it gently, drops of water frequently.

Ok these chicks are 2 days oldand what watt red light are you using?
If the room temp where the chicks are is comfortable ( 65 to 70 degrees),
you can take out that big light and put in an 85 watt cool white
incandescent bulb or floodlight at one end of the brooder. Watch the chicks and see what they do?
They should be active and rest in a loose group. Not piled together ( too cold) or spread
out away from the light (too warm). I agree, I think you have a temp issue.
You may also have a dehydration problem. Do you have electrolytes in their water?
Electrolytes have sodium in them. If the chicks don't also have access to regular water,
they can only drink the salted water. They get thirsty and drink more water and get thirstier.
until they have salt overload. Put in some regular water so they have a choice.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
What do you mean by the temp is good?

Overheating is way more dangerous than being a little cool, and way more common. Panting is a sign of overheating, as are listlessness and holding the wings away from the body. Does your brooder have a place to get totally, completely out from under the heat lamp? A spot that's room temperature, whatever that may be? I'd take the chick out from under the heat and start hydrating it gently, drops of water frequently.
I meant that the temperature in my brooder was fine. I have a large brooder with plenty of space for the chicks to spread out, so if they want to cool off, they can easily do so. Half of the brooder is heated and the other half is unheated, so they are free to roam around if they want to.

Back
Top Bottom