Drug testing for jobs..

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by redhen, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    How do you guys feel about this? http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2010/06/16/company-drug-testing/?icid=main|compaq-laptop|dl4|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fjobs.aol.com%2Farticles%2F2010%2F06%2F16%2Fcompany-drug-testing%2F

My
    question is: WHY would you even refuse a drug test..in todays world when jobs are so far and few between?...

My hubby is a sheet metal worker in a union and he sometimes (depends on the company) has to take random drug tests for a job..
    and he has no problem with it at all. Hes actually been called for certain jobs because they know that he is one of the guys that will always pass a drug test ... and so they pass up the other guys that they know wont pass the test.
    Who CARES if its legal or not to require employees to be drug tested??! (i guess that people are now saying that its illegal/aganist their rights, to make an employee take the test..) I mean, really?? People would actually refuse to be drug tested and still expect to get the job? [​IMG]
    And then those people whine that there are no jobs for them... [​IMG]
    Just irks me...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    As far as I'm concerned, anyone who refuses a drug test, and squawks that their civil rights are being abused or violated,, are drug users who don't want to get caught. If you aren't a user take the test and shut up.

Fixed spelling sorry!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  3. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I agree. I have a CDL and drug testing is standard. DOT is 0 tolerance. Yet it never ceases to amaze me that drivers will come in for a job, go through orientation KNOWING they HAVE to take a drug test and still drop dirty? Seriously??? It's amazing to me.

It's about safety. My grandfather told me once how his steel forge went on strike (he was union and had to go along) cause some guy showed up to work drunk as a skunk and got sent home. This was in the 50s. They were on strike for 3 months I believe.

But you know what? I wouldn't have wanted to be working with the guy who was drunk in a steel forge around molten metal. I don't want to be in any situation where someone who is impaired is the person I have to rely on for my safety. Or for that matter where that impaired person is in charge of producing a product or service where, if not done correctly, could injure, main or even kill me!!!!!

You want to do drugs or drink? Fine, your life. Stay in your home and kill yourself. - HOWEVER, you step outside your home, interact with the public on ANY level and in ANY capacity, and it's now our business.

4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:That's what I think. If you can't pass the test, don't whine either because you can't find a job.

5. JetBlack

JetBlack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    The company I work for stopped doing drug testing and rehired *all* of the people who had been fired. I'd rather work twice as hard, with people I know are sober, than half as hard under a crane being driven by a guy who's higher than a kite.

It's great fun to watch the tweakers operating a table saw. Just a matter of time.

In Idaho, if a worker gets injured, on the job and then tests positive, on their pee test, the Doc-In-The-Box will still treat them, but the company does not have to pay. Neither does Disability. The treatment place makes you pee *FIRST*, then they treat you. I don't mind but when I broke my wrist, it was difficult to operate my pants and... whatnot.... with one hand.

I ruined that bathroom [​IMG] Peeing in a cup is a two handed operation, for men anyway.

I am all for drug testing. It's predictable, who is against it.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

All our bus drivers have random drug testing. No one has ever refused. We had to have a drug test upon hire AND a complete background check for the last 10 years.

I agree with Kate - they are drug users and don't want to get caught or quit.

7. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    How do you really feel, Kate? [​IMG]

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Yup.. I know if i was an employer and someone refused a drug test...it would send up BIG red flags for me..
    No way that i would hire them..

9. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    My career choice started 1973, (Nuclear) has always had security background checks and "fitness for duty" (random drug testing). I have no sympathy for someone wanting a good paying job, but not the requirements that go with it. My Son who has pursued a diesel mechanical career also has those requirements----after all, would you want a compromised mechanic working on the big rig thatÂ’s sharing the interstate with you?

10. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:I know,, sometimes I have such a hard time getting my message across,,,,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by