Drugs and animals

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rosyposyosy, Aug 6, 2007.

1. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    first let me tell you - i'm not in to drugs and i never will. behind my house there is an alley, in that alley is a small little house which a mexican family lives in (please lets not debate - im not a racist) and every now and then the mexican family has all of their family over and they blast their music and such. last night i put the chickens to bed and went inside. i thought i was smelling chicken poop on fire (thats what it smells like in my opinion) and so i raced to the chicken coop but nothing was on fire. i figured it out though. the mexican family split immediatly, but the smell was still here (their house is somewhat far away too, its like almost an entire block!) i had a major head ache. our entire house (which is quite large) filled with this smell (we quickly shut the windows) and it stayed this smell for hours and hours - i think its gone now but i might've just gotten used to it. will the smoke and such effect all of my animals? i have 2 cats, a parrot, a dog, and my baby chick inside. ugh.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Ugh, that sucks. That type of smell is heavy and lingers like crazy. I would think that your animals will be fine. It was only a short exposure and if you let everything air out the majority of the smell should dissipate.

3. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    thank god. it was "icky"

4. Bubba

Bubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2007
    No it won't hurt them in the least. The toxicity level for marijuana is extremely high. aka YOU CANNOT KILL YOURSELF WITH IT!!! You can't even say that about aspirin. On another note, hemp seed is incredibly good for animals and people. Don't stress Rosey! Your birds are fine.

Bubba

PS If it smelled like chicken poop it was most likely meth/crank. Marijuana has a very distinct smell when it burns. Meth can hurt your birds, but there is nothing you can do now. Its water based so give your birds lots of water. Marijuana is fat based so it stays in your system a long time....

PSS Those Crazy Mexicans! [​IMG]

5. broncbuster07

broncbuster07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2007
    Waxahachie, TX
    Don't worry! The marijuana smoke(if that's what it is) will not effect your animals in any negative way. In fact, your headache was not a result of the marijuana smoke. Marijuana is actually much like aspirin because it expands blood vessels. It will make an existing headache go away. I am a proponent of the legalization of marijuana for it's medicinal uses.

6. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

Did you get really hungry afterwards?? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I'm with you on that issue, broncbuster07. Medicinal. [​IMG]

8. Yonaton

Yonaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    West TN
    Most likely they were making meth. You should've called the law on 'em. Whether it was some kind of drug or not, you, your health and health of your family and stock, and your home should *NOT* have to be subjected to the kind of stench you're describing, *especially* if it's making you not feel well. Call the law on 'em.

9. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    [​IMG] Blondie!!!

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If it happens again, I'd call.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by