Drumming

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marbletown, Oct 28, 2009.

1. marbletown

marbletown New Egg

Oct 28, 2009
    I have 1 hen who will crouch down - slightly spread her wings and drum her feet.. She is friendly and will let me pick her up while doing this. I have only heard of it with prairie hens... dows anyone else have hens who do this?

2. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    She dances?

3. citychickinthecountry

citychickinthecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2009
    Gainesville, Florida
    My Black Tailed White Japanese Bantam does this same thing. I think it's adorable. I call it her tap dance! [​IMG] She didn't do this until after she started laying eggs though. I knew another one of my hens was going to start laying eggs when she started doing the wing spreading thing, but she doesn't dance. [​IMG]

4. mlm1965

mlm1965 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2009
    Maryville, TN
    I had a silkie roo that did that around me when I talked to him. look like the old westerns with the indians doing a war dance.

5. NC Chicken Gal

NC Chicken Gal Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2009
    One of my EE's does this. She was one when she was smaller was very aloof, wouldn't let me mess with her at all...now she follows me:lol: Silly birds

6. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Sounds like she is 'squating' for you....like she would for a rooster. Mine spread their wings, squat a bit and then kind of adjust their feet (I assume preparing for the rooster to hop on).....

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Yes, she's squatting for you. I have some Delawares that do this. They usually stop after awhile.

.....Alan.

8. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    I have an old english bantam that does this for the top hen, but not for me. Her feet really make quite a bit of noise.

9. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This is "squating", its what they do when they are first learning to accept the rooster. It makes it very easy to catch them when they are going thru this phase of maturing. [​IMG] Some of my Delawares are still going thru this and will actually come up to me to get my attention. (I think Delawares are so outgoing)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  10. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    Two of my roos do this. [​IMG] The Orp does it before he tries to attack (gently) my 8lb dog and my 1lb dog. The Silkie roo does this when I take his woman out of the pen for snuggles.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by