1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Drumstick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oesdog, Mar 16, 2013.

1. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    This morning I went to feed the girls and let them out to free range a while. Yesterday drumstick was not her usual self.
    This morning she went and drank instead of eating her dinner and then I noticed lots of fluid comming out of her like a spray?
    What is she doing? Her crop is soft and mushy? She did eat once she drank but yesterday she took herself off on her own which is really odd for her. Usually she is a greedy pig and stands in the middle of the feed plate so she can get more than the others so it is odd she headed for the water first?

Any ideas?

2. Impacted crop?

3. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Her crop is loose not full. So I don;t think that. Anyhow I took her into the shed today and she is now in a box. I was real glad of this because it is now snowing so I made the right call. I just think the long cold very wet here for near a year now has not been kind to the animals.

Oes

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  5. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Thanks for this.
    I tried putting her upside down which was a bit of a desaster! In that we both got tangled up in an old towel and nothing came out! She got upset and I got scared of hurting her so we abandoned that idea. However I did try the plain yogurt and garlic clove.( She wouldn;t eat it so I had to force feed her garlic yuck!) OMG she smells like a chicken kiev - ! Awful but it seems to be having an affect . She has pood a few times but it is all green and yuky and smells really bad. I also noticed that she had been sick too and the same green yuck was comming up. Like festered mould! I did notice some mould in the hen house when I cleaned it up and so maybe she got to that? Not sure where it came from either? I usually check every day and clean them out twice a month. But this appeared quite quickly? Maybe it was a broken egg? Anyhow this aftrernoon all the girls are out free ranging and I felt sorry for drummy stuck on her own in the shed. So I lifted her crate outside. She was enjoying the warmth of the sun and listening to all the other girls when I discovered that they were secretly trying the break her out of the crate and had undone all the tape holding it closed!

Her comb went from red yesterday to very white today. But I can see a little colour returning tonight. I hope she will be ok? I am not eating her eggs for a while as I think they will be garlic flavoured! I hope she will recover as it isn;t that long since I lost a hen Dorothy but she had an airway infection. I was worried incase this hen died too? I was worried that something had gotten into the flock. Though now I think she ate something bad. The hen she usually roosts beside and hangs out with also sprayed from her nose today and it came out brown goo - so I will be keeping an eye on her. I am ready with the garlic! She seems fine though? But then Drummy was fine a few days ago too.

Oes - thanks for the help. She does look brighter.

6. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    UPdate Drumstick passed away 25th March.

Oes - thanks for the help and advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by