1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

drunk acting courtinix quail.?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by DLS, Dec 4, 2008.

1. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

This morning I have a courtinix quail staggering around like its drunk . The others are OK. The quail are 5 weeks old what can iT be? And what can - or should I do?
    Thanks
    D

2. DLS

??

3. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    I haven't seen that with quail, but when I had a lovebird that did that, it was because food got impacted in the crop and fermented. With quail, idk.. maybe it got a boink injury?

4. linebacker

linebacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2007
    North West Tennessee
    I lost an adult hen that was acting like that. She was egg bound. I know yours are young so that shouldn't be your problem. I have read that a dehydrated quail acts that way, but I don't have any first hand knowledge, maybe you could give her some sugar water. I wish I could help you more.

Brad

5. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    DLS- Just wondering how the Quail turned out, incase it ever happens my quail..

The more you read here about the experiences other people have the more is learned and hopefully remembered if it happens to you.

I learn something new everyday!!

Welcome to BYC!

6. DLS

It is still wobbling around . it will flop on its back sometimes . I wonder if it bumped its head on the roof of the cage? I was afraid it caught some thing might spread to the rest. but it just mostly sits there . when it tries to get around is when the staggering & falling down starts.

7. linebacker

linebacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2007
    North West Tennessee
    If it is still wobbling around and falling after 24 hrs I believe I would quarantine it. My reasoning is for a head bonk to still be effecting it this long afterward should have killed it. Hopefully it is some sort of neurological problem and not a bacterial/internal pest related problem which could spread to your other birds. Once again I'm just giving you suggestions of what I would do if it happened to me. I don't have any first hand experience with this ailment to a young bird.

Brad

ETA: I do hope your bird gets better.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by