drunk acting hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lbcoats, Dec 10, 2014.

1. lbcoats

lbcoats New Egg

Jun 28, 2010
    I have a brown bantam hen, 8 months old, acts drunk she started approx 1month ago with her toes curling on one foot would walk that way then got dizzy acting then can't stand up she eats and drinks like crazy as long as I am home to put the dishes in front of her. But since I went back ,to work on Monday she has gone downhill. I am giving her save a chick and making sure she has lots of food to eat. She falls forward when she tries to eat or drink. Now it has led to pneumonia. I'm sure there is nothing else I can do for her but if someone can tell me what is going on with her I can be better prepared if I see it again.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be a vitamin deficiency, or something more serious such as Mareks disease. Other problems such as toxins, moldy feed, and lead poisoning can resemble Mareks. Wasting can be common with Mareks, but I would start vitamins and explore other possible causes. A necropsy by your state vet could diagnose Mareks if she should die. Sorry about your pullet. Here are some links to read:
    http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

3. lbcoats

lbcoats New Egg

Jun 28, 2010
    My pullet is still alive. eats like crazy as long as I hold her steady. I have been giving her watermelon chunks with her grain in the evening or raspberries. She scarfs them up. Also changed to sugar water. A friend who raises show quality bantams said he thought that she had mites in her ears causing vertigo. I didn't ask him to examine her for fear if she did have a disease he could take it home to his chickens. He has raised them for over 40 yrs. Had me rub some oil on her feathers around her neck and ears. I think she seems stronger. Not so wobbly. I have my fingers crossed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by