Drunk chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Khawk, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Khawk

Khawk In the Brooder

Feb 11, 2019
    Hi- I’ve gotten on here multiple times to answer questions about my flock, but decided to actually join to post a questions about one of my girls. I noticed yesterday when I was cleaning their coop that she was having trouble maintaining her balance and was sometimes even falling over. I immediately quarantined her and gave her electrolytes and probiotics. I have no idea what is wrong with her. She’s eating and drinking and even layed an egg in quarantine. She’s still unsteady on her feet this morning and I hesitate to put her back out with the flock in case she’s contaigious. She’s also at the bottom of the pecking order and I don’t want the others picking on her when she’s so unsteady. Any ideas what may be going on with her? Any information is greatly appreciated!

2. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    How old is she? What breed? How is her body condition? Have you checked her for lice/mites?

Pictures could help too.

3. Khawk

Khawk In the Brooder

Feb 11, 2019
    She’s 11 months old. Her body looks good and her flue is clean. I’ve treated lice before and don’t see any signs of those, nor do I see any signs of mites. Her skin is a little dry, but we live in the Southwest. It’s currently snowing here and is 28 degrees. She’s not picking at herself and is feisty as ever. Could it be something she ate?

Attached Files:

black_fleet likes this.
  4. Cragg Klefor

Cragg Klefor Crowing

Apr 14, 2017
    County Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Khawk, welcome :frow
    I would check her crop, before she goes to bed, and first thing in the morning before she eats or drinks. If her crop is not functioning properly she will be deprived of vital nutrients which can cause the symptoms you have described. She is gorgeous :love
    Has she pooped in front of you? What is that like? Can you post a picture please of her poop?
    I would give her a direct dose of poultry vitamins straight away as it won't harm her and could help her.

5. Khawk

Khawk In the Brooder

Feb 11, 2019

6. Khawk

Khawk In the Brooder

Feb 11, 2019
    382936C8-D873-417F-820A-D6F2DF399AA1.jpeg 382936C8-D873-417F-820A-D6F2DF399AA1.jpeg She seems to be quite a bit more steady on her feet, but now her poop is kinda watery. It was solid this morning, but is looser now. I did give her bread soaked in olive oil to help if something was stuck in her crop, so could that cause the lose stool? Thank you everyone for your responses!

penny1960 and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  7. Cragg Klefor

Cragg Klefor Crowing

Apr 14, 2017
    County Kilkenny, Ireland
    Thanks for the photos!
    Can you say what you used to treat for lice please?
    Have you any ideas as to what she could have gotten access too? Moldy food etc? If she could have gotten into something it could cause balance issues. Have a good look around to see if you can spot any spoiled food or mold growing anywhere, including in her coop.
    How much ventilation is in the coop?
    Also take a good look at the bottoms of her feet, any scratches or hot areas? Pics of those could help also!

penny1960 likes this.
  8. Khawk

Khawk In the Brooder

Feb 11, 2019
    She wasn’t one of the hens I treated for lice. I rescued 4 five month old hens that had been abandoned, and they had lice. I treated them with sevin once weekly for 3 weeks and they were kept separate from the other girls for 5 weeks. Their coop is well ventilated with windows that are left about an inch open on each side to get cross ventilation, and their door is left open all night. They have a completely enclosed structure that protects from predators at night. I looked at her feet and they look normal. She’s no longer staggering around and is continuing to eat and drink. I’m thinking she ate something that made her sick.

penny1960 likes this.
  9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may have been kept from eating and drinking by the others. Meeker chickens may not get enough. I would check her crop first thing in the morning before she eats, and if her crop is full, hard, or puffy, there is a crop problem. Make sure that she is getting plenty of food and water by offering her some cooked egg or tuna for treats, as long as her crop is functioning.

10. Khawk

Khawk In the Brooder

Feb 11, 2019
    I think that dehydration was the culprit! I’ve since let her out (after she was spoiled & doted on) and she’s back to her normal behavior. She is the very bottom of a 16 hen pecking order, so now I know to watch her more closely. Her crop has been fine the past 2 morning, so I think that I’ll give her a special treat like the scrambled eggs or tuna once a week, and I’m also going to put a third large waterer out so she’s less likely to get chased away while drinking. Thanks so much everyone for your helpful and insightful suggestions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: