1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Drunk Pekin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ade686, May 12, 2016.

1. Ade686

Ade686 New Egg

May 12, 2016
    I'm new to ducks and have 4 babies! They are now 10 weeks old and fully feathered. I believe I have 2 Pekins and 2 Muscovy(unsure or anyone's sex). All have seemed healthy until a week and a half ago. Bernard (Pekin) started walking drunk, losing his balance and falling over. He also seems to have constant head movement, like a swaying. He is eating, drinking and pooping like normal. He seems to get worse towards the evening and when tired. I have supplied them with brewers yeast in their food, given them vitamin/probiotic water and a constant supply of fresh water. His personality has not seemed to change. I have searched for any cuts or open wounds and have found none. Any advise or suggestions? Thanks! He is the one on the right in the middle[​IMG]

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Hmm I would probably take him ti the vet just to be safe that nothing is wrong.

3. duckeg

duckeg Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2016
    Is he having difficulty to pick up his head?

4. Ade686

Ade686 New Egg

May 12, 2016
    He is hesitant to lift his head, however still extends his neck when stretching and flapping his wings. He has a hard time reaching around to groom, but I'm not sure if that's from him losing his balance.

5. duckeg

Feb 9, 2016
    you should take him to a vet, maybe he is poisoned

6. The Pinto Pony

The Pinto Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2014
    Indiana
    I agree with duckeg, you really need to take him to a Avian vet O_O.

7. Ade686

Ade686 New Egg

May 12, 2016
    Was able to get an appointment tomorrow. I have been doing tons of reading on poisoning and found a video of a duck with lead poisoning behaving exactly the same as Bernard. Hoping that's not the case though.

8. The Pinto Pony

The Pinto Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2014
    Indiana
    Great :D hopefully he gets better! Just tell the vet everything of what's happening.

9. Ade686

Ade686 New Egg

May 12, 2016
    Thanks you guys!

10. duckeg

Feb 9, 2016
    Hope he gets better Keep us updated :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by