Drunk raccoon

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChlorophyllChick, Sep 27, 2011.

1. ChlorophyllChick

ChlorophyllChick Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Our neighbors have an apple tree in their back yard which hangs over the fence into our yard. Today I heard the chickens sounding an alarm so I ran out to see a raccoon in the neighbors yard, right next to our fence, eating the fallen apples. I ran up to it to try to scare it away, even though it didn't seem interested in the chickens. I have never seen one up close before or in the daylight so I was really surprised when it didn't even flinch, I was yelling and waving my arms. I threw a couple of apples at it and it kind of hissed and eventually left, but it definitely seemed drunk off of the rotting apples. We are in a pretty populated area and have never seen any predators before. Our chickens usually free range in the yard all day, but I am really worried that this raccoon might come back and go after the chickens when all the apples are gone. I don't know very much about raccoons or what they are capable of, but I think it could get over the fence and into our yard it if wanted to so I don't know if it is safe to let the chickens out. They have a fully enclosed run, but it is small and they are much happier free ranging, but now I'm not sure if it is safe. Does anyone have any advice?

2. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I would have shot it as it'll be one less coon and if there is one coon there is bound to be more

3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    It could also have had rabies, too. Probably not the end stages of the disease, but still could have been. Always suspect rabies when wild animals are acting abnormal...and usually coons are nocturnal. Just saying...

4. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    get ya an ar-15 and bang! bang! bang!!!

5. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Shoot it he will go after you're chickens and most people say that they are the worst predators.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Raccoons are one of the most prevalent predators of chickens. They can climb just about anything, have the tenacity of a bulldog, opposeable thumbs like us,the creativity of a rocket scientist. They are barbaric in their methods of killing, maiming their victims - they will eat their prey alive - any part of them that may stick thru the fence etc. The only good thing that could happen from raccoons getting drunk on apples - is maybe they will stagger into the street and kiss a speeding SUV on their way out.

Having said all that - what was your question again??

7. ChlorophyllChick

ChlorophyllChick Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    We don't own a gun, but I really wished I had one, I was so freaked out and didn't know what to do. I think our area is too residential for us to shoot it though, even if we had a gun. Should I have called animal control or something instead of scaring it away? Is there a good way to kill a raccoon other than shooting it? Now that I think about it the axe was only about 15 feet away from me at the time, but I don't know if that would have been a good idea either.

I was initially worried about rabies when it was acting strangely, but I think it was just drunk off of the apples. Although I don't know why it was out during the daytime, it was later in the afternoon and it was rainy so it wasn't sunny out, but it definitely wasn't dark.

Should we keep the chickens locked in their run for awhile until we get this sorted out? I heard them today and knew something was up, but there is no guarantee that I will hear them and get out there in time if it comes back, which people seem to think it will.

8. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    ChlorophyllChick wrote: Now that I think about it the axe was only about 15 feet away from me at the time, but I don't know if that would have been a good idea either.

A 3/4 or full ax would serve the purpose admirably. I wouldn't get close enough to a drunk raccoon to use a hand ax.

If you are always around when your chooks are out ranging, put a cheap baby monitor out back (or wherever) and jack the volume on the indoor receiver.​

9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    drunk normally = distemper the bad part is they can be infected with both kinds canine and / or feline

10. user104534

user104534 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2011
    I'm not allowed to fire a gun in my neighborhood so I keep a good sheath knife around...helps if you know how to throw it too. If you can get a 1000 fps pellet gun. Those are legal and work well on raccoons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by