Drunk rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ashlierami, Oct 13, 2019.

1. ashlierami

ashlierami Songster

Feb 9, 2017
    Alabama
    I have a 3 year old rooster. He was once top pecking order. Now he is not. He grts picked on and seems to be having balance issues. When he jumps down he usually falls on his chest and has to get up. Sometimes he will just lay there for a sec and get up. I help him also. He eats drinks and takes his hens out. He is molting currently. He still loves his treats and responds to his name. This started about a week ago maybe 2. I've checked his feet and dont see injury and I've checked his legs. His Spurs could use a trim but I don't want to stress him right now to do so. He crows but not as much. He seems shy and scared when he was once very dominant. What could be causing these balance issues? He walks fine it's when he's standing or jumping down he seems drunk like his legs aren't working with what he wants to do.

slordaz and glassdragonfly like this.
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I am not an expert on roosters, but it could be his molt that is causing his problems. I would give him some Poultry Cell or NutriDrench for a week or so, and offer some cooked egg and tuna or liver for treats, to see if he perks up.

3. ashlierami

ashlierami Songster

Feb 9, 2017
    Alabama
    I was wondering sinxe it is out of the blue. He's molting on his neck and legs and he doesn't like being picked up much. I gave him boiled eggs abd he eats them like he's starving which hes not. I have some nutri drench in my chicken cabinet I'll give him tomorrow.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He might be kept from getting his fill of food, so if he scarfs up eggs, then give him some extra goodies.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Can we see a video of him walking? A close up of his eyes would be nice as well, both eyes.

6. ashlierami

ashlierami Songster

Feb 9, 2017
    Alabama
    He's free range and his crop is usually full in the afternoon when he comes home for bed with his girls. I usually take him bread of whatever treat of the day I'm handing out. I hope it's just his molt. I think the other user who responded is suspecting Marek's which I'm so hoping it isn't that

7. ashlierami

ashlierami Songster

Feb 9, 2017
    Alabama
    I will try to get a video Tomorrow when I'm home from work or atleast a picture of his eyes.

8. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    What breed is he? Do chickens get rickets? Is he a giant breed? Could he be too heavy for his legs to support him? How far does he have to jump down from the roost to the floor? Could he be injuring or straining his legs?

Sure hope you can resolve his issues, poor guy!

slordaz likes this.
  9. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    Molts take a lot out of them, What helps mine when he is molting is giving him more meal worms or other protein, and he seems to like a bit of coconut oil and garlic, plus when my flock molts, I am adding once a week to their water both b complex and poli-vi-sol vitamin drops in their water, seems to help with the extra requirements and energy levels

chrissynemetz likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: