Drunken hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jay1105, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Jay1105

Jay1105 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    San Antonio
    Has any one had this happen? Its been about 100 degrees in south Texas in the afternoons for quite some time. I was watching my chickens this afternoon and one of my favorite girls started staggering around like she was drunk. I was pretty worried about her! I went in with a handfull of oats and she straightend right up and started walking normal again. Does anyone have any ideas what might cause this?

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    You know, with the extreme heat, I wonder if she's suffering from heat stroke. Are you doing anything to cool them down during the day?

Symptoms of heat stroke include nausea, extreme exhaustion, disorientation, and dizziness.

3. Jay1105

Jay1105 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    San Antonio
    They are in a pretty shaded area. How would I cool them down?

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

pretty humid there right now right? so sprinkling them down wont help, if they have shad and a breeze and cool water not much else you can do.

5. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    Fill shallow pans (like kitty litter) with cool water and hold them in it for a minute or so, freeze water in empty milk jugs and set them in their coop, put a fan outside somewhere they can walk up to it, fill some of their dirt holes with water, offer frozen watermelon.

(I take no credit for any of these ideas; they all came from various BYC members).

6. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    I don't think she'd have perked for treats if it was heat related. at least she did perk up.
    Throw the water to them just to be safe.

7. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    Quote:Chicken like Shad! I guess they'll eat anything, not sure fish will help with the heat.
    HaHa

8. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:love the watermelon idea [​IMG]

9. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hi having a mistand from home depot for $10.00 to spray the run and to mist the chickens has been a life saver. It was 103 today here in NJ would have been in trouble without it. Ice in their waterers and shade. My run has a roof. I know others on here freeze fruit to give to them as well. Good luck with your feathered friends [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  10. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    I had a rooster that had done that... I was told it sounded like he had found a bit of moldy food somewhere. I looked, and sure enough there was some between the bricks. I've been more careful since then, and have never seen it again. Not sure if that's what happened to your hen, but figured I share just in case..

Glad she pepped up tho!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by