"Drunken", sleepy chick - Help please?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KYTinpusher, Dec 7, 2011.

1. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    I have a 4 week old Swedish Flower Hen chick who I found last night stumbling around in the brooder. His feathers seem ruffled up, he is weak, cannot stand, and his wings are droopy. He does chirp and move around when he is touched, but seems to have trouble staying awake. His comb is paler than usual. His crop feels like there is liquid in it, soft and squishy. We gave him some kefir and Sav-A-Chick water last night. He has had some kefir, but seems uninterested in the water. None of the other 9 chickmates are showing any symptoms. They have been on medicated feed (Start and Grow). Their brooder is in the house and though they have not been exposed directly to our other chickens, I know my children are not always diligent about washing their hands after being with the older chicks and chickens outside. The only treats that I can think they have gotten besides their food is the kefir. I remember that yesterday afternoon when I checked the chicks, he was under the brooder (EcoGlow) while all the other chicks were out playing. He is now in a separate box.

It is possible that the feeder fell on him. I found the feeder tipped on its side (I think yesterday?). It is the old fashioned galvanized with the Ball jar screwed in. The chicks have been playing "King of the Mountain" on it. (It has been replaced with a plastic feeder)

However, as I scoured the threads last night, it seemed to me this may be botulism, but from where? Anyway, after reading the thread on botulism, I have picked up Epsom Salts and molasses. I have mixed up 1 tsp. Epsom salts in 1 oz. water and tried to feed him, but he fights me when I try to open his mouth and since I've never done this before, I don't want to drown him as I don't know what I'm doing in that regard. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

These pictures were taken consecutively over a minute or two as he stumbled around. (Click on thumbnails for larger pics)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

He just threw up a white foamy liquid (pic below) and here is a pic of his poo from shortly after we found him last night, but I haven't seen any since.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

ETA: He recently pooped and it was bright green and watery.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. Contrastphoto

Contrastphoto Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Sevier County, Tn
    I hope someone is able to help you! I am still praying for the little guy. How are the others chicks doing?

3. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    Thank you for your prayers. He is hanging in there and seems to like the molasses water. We now believe that it may be that some of the food and water they spilled got buried and got moldy. He is taking the molasses water if I squirt it into his mouth, but I am still not sure how to feed it directly into the crop, as suggested in the thread on botulism. I have an eye dropper, but I'm not sure how far down to go with it and I don't want to hurt him. He fights me when I try to do it. If anyone has any instructions or advice on how to do this, it certainly would be appreciated.

The other chicks all appear fine and have a freshly cleaned and sanitized brooder box using Oxine. I have misted the chicks with a diluted Oxine solution. We are also giving them the molasses water free choice just in case and will be watching them very closely. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Also, I have a heater he is under. It is the top of my Brinsea Octo 20 Advance on the brooder adapter. He seems better when he's warm, but I don't want him to get too warm as he can't really move around to get out of it if he does. It is currently set at 80F. Is that too warm? Too cold? Any advice here would also be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  4. Contrastphoto

May 3, 2011
    Sevier County, Tn
    My first thought was marek's disease, but I am pretty sure he is to young for that.... I am so sorry you are going through this right now. It sounds like you are doing alll the right things.[​IMG]

5. Contrastphoto

May 3, 2011
    Sevier County, Tn
    Any update on the sick chick??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by