Dry-Air Incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Pele, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Hi all,

After doing a lot of research on incubating, I have decided to move forward with dry-air incubation. I have seen Henthusiast's cheat sheet (thank you Hensthusiast!), which is a godsend, but does not address one of my worries.

I am a bit concerned with my geographic location and the ambient humidity here. For those of you who have never made it to lovely Boise, it is surprisingly considered high desert (shocked me to learn this when i moved here).

Our average humidity here in the summer gets down to 20%, however in the winter it stays around 70 to 80%. Our elevation is just a shade under 3,000 ft. With this in mind, what humidity should I be striving for in the 'dry method'? I will be getting a Hygrometer soon, and will be measuring the ambient humidity right now, and if we are having an unusually dry winter (which we are), I want to know what humidity I am needing to acheive.

Please let me know, and I will adjust my hatch accordingly. Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom [​IMG]

2. SesameSt.Chicks

SesameSt.Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
  3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    That's perfect! Thanks! I have been sifting through older threads, but there's SO much information on the forums (lol too much of a good thing? nah).

4. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    I only use dry-hatch method with my chicken eggs. You need a hygrometer, if you are hatching chicken eggs, your humidity should be at 30-40% the first 18 days, during lock down, it needs to be 70%. I have had Great! results with this method.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree I run my humidity about the same and have great hatches. My last hatch was 51 chicks out of 54 eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by