Dry at night

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Candy72, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Candy72

Candy72 New Egg

Nov 5, 2009
    I am looking for some ideas as to how to keep my call ducks sleeping dry at night. They sleep outside in a pen and have the option to go into the big barn but right now they don't want to. It's not cold enough yet here in Michigan. However I have always had the problem of wet ground in their pen. I dump their water just about twice a day and it keeps the ground wet. I put straw down but after a day on the wet ground the straw gets wet. I would like to have a 3 sided shelter with a bottom, big enough to hold from 6 to 8 call ducks, but light weight enough that I can move it round myself. I would put fresh straw on the floor when needed. I will need to build 6 to 8 of these shelters. I have about 80 call ducks. My pen is 10' wide and 50' long.
    I have 4X8' sheets of plastic political signs that I can cut and use as sides and tops. Maybe an A frame.
    Does anyone have any ideas for me?
    TheDuckWhisperer

2. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I don't see why you couldn't use the plastic on the bottom of your A frame as well to keep them drier. If the plastic seems too slippery, you could throw in or attatch a washable floor mat or rubberized material of some sort.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  3. Candy72

Candy72 New Egg

Nov 5, 2009
    That's a good idea. I may try that. I had a friend suggest putting a piece of the pink foam board insulation on the floor and covering that with straw. That would insulate the ducks from the cold ground. Might just be worth a try.
    Thanks for the idea.
    TheDuckWhisperer

4. My ducks love foam insulation, they nibble on it like crazy!!
    If you put it on the floor it would be too easy for them to get to it.

5. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Ditto on ducks liking foam insulation. NOT a good idea unless you cover it with something non-edible. [​IMG] Every piece of styrofoam I had stored in our carport, my ducks have found. Dosen't matter how big or small of a piece, be it a ice chest or a packing peanut.... they will find and nibble it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by