Dry Bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dadof4, Sep 16, 2009.

1. dadof4

dadof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    I was wondering how long a bator could be dry. I've kept an eye on mine the whole time, but went to check this morning and it looked dry. I filled it back up, but today is the day they come out of the turner. By the way, test bunch-this is my first go in many years using an incubator. I normally have a broody. Thanks

2. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    I keep my bator dry until day 18....so 1-18days no water at all...on day 18 I take my turner out, set my eggs and make sure all my connecting hoses are in place...via holes on top of my bator or the sides....I add water to raise the humidity

day 1-18 no water

day 19 50-52%

day 20 55-60%

day 21 60-68

I put the water in via my hoses so that I DO NOT OPEN THE BATOR AT ALL ANY LONGER AFTER THE TAKING OUT OF THE TURNER, SETTING EGGS, FIRST ADD OF WATER.

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I run it dry or mostly dry 1-18 as well and then make sure I get about 50% during the hatch. Hatching chicks raise it anyway.

BUT...

If they were shipped eggs.

If they are very porous.

If you live at HIGH altitude or in a very very dry place - you probably NEED to add water. And dry for short periods isn't usually a problem. Nearer to hatch you want to be careful.

4. dadof4

dadof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    These are my eggs. I live in Misissippi-it hasn't been dry or not humid for monthes-seems like years. Thanks for the insight. I'm using a Hovabator 1588.

5. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    You probably don't need any added water at all during the first 18 days, in Mississippi. I'm in KY, even this late in the year, ambient humidity is around 65-70%. With no water added, the hum in the 'bator is around 45%, which is where it should be. I'll raise it to about 55% for the last 3 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by