Dry beak and moulting

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by srodems, Jan 22, 2010.

1. srodems

srodems Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2009
    Ben Lomond, CA
    My RIR Feisty had a really hard first moult and is finally getting back to normal. I have noticed her beak closest to her skin has turned white, like it is dry. Is this due to lack of protein?

She went through most of the moult without additional protein in her diet, just Geeks Pellet layer feed, scratch, and homemade yogurt every couple of days (all the girls get this), but I am wondering if I should give her something else.

Today I gave her some tuna, and will give her the rest tomorrow. Any other suggestions? Is this normal?

Any informaiton appreciated!

Tried to take a photo of her close up so you could see, but we don't call her Feisty for nothing![​IMG]

2. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    The dryness on her beak sounds like the beginning of mites or just not enough protein in his diet. Coat the area where the beak meets the skin with some vaseline. Give him lots of protein. I can't stress that enough. Actually give everyone more protein until the spring. It's been a hard winter.

Feed scrambled eggs, chopped up leftover meat from your dinner if you have any. Also include chopped greens, apples, grapes or anything you have in the fridge. As far as the meat my neighbor saves me some of the parts of the deer he kills. Hearts, kidneys etc. During the winter I will simmer them on the stove and when it is really well cooked turn it off and let the meat cool in the water. I give it to the chickens whole or sometimes cut it into smaller pieces. The water leftover I save and make them oatmeal with it. It doesn't smell nice but they love it.

Sometimes I will pick up cheap manager special burger at the grocery store, brown that up and when cool give it to them. Also look at the reduced vegetable rack and get them a few squash or what ever they have.

3. srodems

srodems Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2009
    Ben Lomond, CA
    Thanks Purple Tree,

They also free range most of the time, a lot of worms and bugs in my yard. I will do the vaseline, and be sure they get some supplemental protein.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by