Dry Breast Meat

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Fearlessphil, May 11, 2008.

1. Fearlessphil

Fearlessphil Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Vilonia, Arkansas
    I raised and butchered my own cornish rock x meat birds. We have tried cooking them in several different ways (oven, crock pot, smoking). The breasts turn out too dry every time. The legs, thigh and wings are great. Does anyone have any ideas or recipes to make the breast more juicy?

This photo is of the one we smoked yesterday. Yes, it tasted as good as it looks.

[​IMG]

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Have you tried brining them?

Pat

3. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Brining them, as Pat says, helps. Have you tried cooking them in a tightly covered dish, preferably a heavy ceramic one, with a bit of chicken broth, wine, olive oil etc?

4. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    I inject chicken broth or marinade into the chicken breast.

5. Fearlessphil

Fearlessphil Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Vilonia, Arkansas
    Quote:Yes we tried broth in a covered pot. A friend suggested cooking it breast side down. Has anyone tried that?

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Roast it breast side down. I tried that with a turkey once for Thanksgiving and I will never roast a bird any other way.

It is not as pretty, but the moistness will be such that you won't care. [​IMG]

7. olddairyfarm

olddairyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2007
    Dixie
  8. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Terrielacy is right, always cook a bird breast side down. The fat and juices will drain down into the meat making it moist, instead of just cooking completely out if it is cooked breast side up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by