1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dry chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nichole77, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    I just got 2 mutts today and they feel dry. DO you know what I mean. Is there something I should do?

2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    I have no idea what you mean...can you please explain in a different way?

3. Nichole77

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    Well... their feathers seem dry. And they seem a little raggedy. My girls have soft feathers almost like nice fur. These birds have dry brittle feathers.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They have been lacking in a good diet. They need a top quality premium feed. also i would give them a mix of chopped boiled eggs and yogurt and rice as a big boost to their nutrition. Even some blackoil sunflower seeds is excellent for them. Poor nutrition shows in the lack of luster and brittle feathers. You can even give them a gamebird feed with higher protein to help them along.

Give them a few months (maybe in a molt) and with lots of TLC they will improve dramatically.

5. Nichole77

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    Oh good, thank you. I have become such a chicken snob. My chicken standards are extremely high. Tee hee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by