dry climate and lock down

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lil' Roo, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Lil' Roo

Lil' Roo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    I live in a very dry climate that is even dryer than usual right now and have my son some OEGB babies going in a very old style metal brower metal incubator at 35% humidity. To keep it at 35 I have the bottom filled with pans of water and sponges. and the bottom holes closed. I am very concerned about how to get the humidity up at lockdown. Wondered about putting the whole shabang in a small pup tent with a humidifier (one of those vicks kind you run for your babies when they are stuffy). I have 10 days to figure out a solution. Please share your ideas.

2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Very simple solution.

Put the incubator in a closet in your house; set a pan of water in the closet as well for add humidity. You might want to add a bit of bleach to it just to keep it fresh (1 oz to a gallon should work fine).

The closet will help hold the humidity and the temp of the incubator.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I too live in a very dry climate, and at lockdown, I use thick socks drenched with water in the bottom of the bator. Sponges dry out too fast, and a closet doesn't work in the desert. The bathroom works if you can run hot water all day! [​IMG] Thick socks work best. Enclosing the bator in a small room also helps with the socks.

I found the sponges dust dry in 12 hours [​IMG]

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

The humidifier would help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by