1. FrankieXenon

FrankieXenon Hatching

Jul 15, 2018
    I have 6 chickens, 1 rhode island, 4 buff orpington, and 1 leghorn. The roosters comb has been flaking ever since. It isnt old enough to crow yet. And i have been feeding it chick starter medicated, rice, fruits, and bunch of other organic stuff. Though i noticed that the 2 rooster have flaky comb. The hens have peeling peckers. Is this normal? It's 70 - 90 degrees here and in the afternoon, they all have their mouths wide open. I usually spray mist on them to cool their bodies down

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  2. trudyg

trudyg Songster 5 Years

Jun 3, 2013
    North Alabama
    Peeling peckers!!! I'm falling out of my chair laughing. I assume you mean beaks..... tears streaming down my face.

3. FrankieXenon

FrankieXenon Hatching

Jul 15, 2018
    Hahah, yes that was the word im looking for

4. MandS

MandS Chirping

Apr 14, 2016
    That's odd - or at least I haven't seen it before.

Can you try rubbing some oil onto the beak? Olive or veg oil. Just a bit on a cloth and rub it gently making sure it is not so runny that it gets into their nostrils. As for the comb, I would try a bit of gentle moisturiser cream on it. You say it is hot, so are they getting lots of direct sun?

It may be that others have seen this before and know what to do. What I have suggested is what I would do but I've never had an instance of this before.

5. love4mychickens

love4mychickens Chirping

Dec 25, 2017
    Massachusetts
    The heat is probably getting to them. I would rub some petroleum jelly ( or lotion that would work fine) on their combs. This has happened to me before in the heat and the cold. But for the Beaks I have never really seen it that bad before but I think it would be okay. I mean if you feel it gets really bad and it's bothering them then maybe put a little bit of that lotion on their beaks too. But I wouldn't worry about that too too much. (Peeling Peckers!!! I love that!! :lau) I hope that helps!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  6. FrankieXenon

FrankieXenon Hatching

Jul 15, 2018
    They
    They stand on a floor of small rock with dirt beneath. Could they have been picking inbetween the rocks

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Where are you located in the world (country/state)?
    How much rice, fruit and organic stuff are you feeding? The dry skin could also be related to diet. In growing chicks, aim for the chick starter to make up 90%-95% of their daily intake. I'm sure they love the rice, but the nutritional content is lacking, personally I would opt for fruit, veggies or greens as a treat:)

As mentioned previously it won't hurt to apply a little coconut oil to the comb if you wish. If you have a photo of your housing/run where they stand on a floor with small rocks, that would be interesting. Are your chicks able to scratch the rocks away to get to the dirt beneath so they can take a dust bath?

micstrachan likes this.
  8. FrankieXenon

FrankieXenon Hatching

Jul 15, 2018
    I'm located North NJ.

Here's a picture of them cornered up in an area I'm trying to improve. At the very right bottom, you see lots of rocks. That is their environment throughout the day. 95% of the floor they walk on is covered in rocks. Occasionally i see them shoving all the rocks aside so they can take dust baths

20180713_131741.jpg

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Loosen up some of your soil so they can dig in it. Dust bathing is very important for chickens, it helps keep to prevent external parasite infestations, helps remove keratin from new feather growth and cleans the feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: