Dry, cracking feet - What to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Country Heart, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

I noticed that one of my bird's feet seem very dry - to the point of having small cracks in the skin. Nothing looks infected and she is walking/running around just fine. Should I be doing something to moisturize her feet, so the cracking will stop and they will be less susceptible to infection? What would you suggest? [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  2. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    you may have scaly leg mite in your flock. can you post a close-up photo? chicken feet do normally look dryish though.

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    We need pictures!

4. Country Heart

Quote:I will try and post a picture, but it will probably be much later tonight. What is the treatment for scaly leg mite?

5. have your tried Bag Balm, it's great for almost anything dry, people or animals marie

6. Country Heart

I looked up some scaly leg mite pictures, and it really does not look anything like that. It almost looks like one of her nails is a bit impacted with dirt. I think I will try washing it with warm soapy water and maybe coating with a bit of Vaseline. Sound ok?

7. Country Heart

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by