Dry flakey white comb and wattles

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hispoptart, Apr 4, 2012.

1. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    I have 2 RIR and 2 BR's all of their combs and wattles look like they have a sever case of dry skin. They are red but have a flaky white coating to them. Is there something I can do for that?

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    If you have a picture that would be nice, but have you heard of VetRx? It helps moisten their comb. (it's like vegetable oil and you can use it too) I recommend using it for dryness. I use it when I go to shows also, (comb, wattles, shanks) Just don't get it on their feathers.

3. did you happen to give them anything like yogurt or butter milk that they would have flung all over themselves? I did that last fall and i freaked later that day when their combs and wattles were chalky white and peeling. Ended up being dried yogurt! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    Oh yep! I thought my chickens had a disease but it was actually just egg yolk after they cracked open an egg.

5. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Thanks for the advice on the oil. I will try that.

LOL no didn't give them any yogurt or anything like that.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It might be favus. If you could provide a pic, that might help.

7. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    My roosters comb is very dry like this, but I gave him a "spa day" and it doesn't look dry anymore.
    [​IMG]

8. Peachy Chook

Peachy Chook New Egg

Jun 9, 2013
    Our light/white sussex's comb is sort of white and flakey, especially near the back. It is sort of misshapen too. She is quite old and doesn't lay much. I'm pretty worried about the poor girl! Do you think I should apply some Betadine to it? [​IMG]

9. Ciscobob

Ciscobob New Egg

Jul 9, 2013
    Near Denver
    Our Orpingtons have some white on the back of their comb too, here is a shot of one of them...
    [​IMG]

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sometimes combs just get dry. It happens to mine, especially after I apply oil to their combs (I show chickens, so to make their combs shine before the show, I rub oil on them). The treatment that I use is regular antibiotic ointment (make sure that it contains no "caine" ingredients, as those are bad for chickens), rubbed in a thin layer over the comb. This usually solves the problem, at least until they go to another show.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by