Dry fowl pox and broody hen (with some other questions too)

LikeTurkeys

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 25, 2018
Southern California
Hello!
It's the middle of summer and mosquitoes are flying about like crazy. So it was not much of a surprise when yesterday I discovered that my chickens appear to have an outbreak of dry fowl pox. Out of the flock of 22, 3 have bumps on their comb and wattles.

I also happen to have a broody on day 3 with her clutch, and while she doesn't appear to be sick, I'm concerned for her chicks. Should I be worried? Most of my flock is young (<30 weeks of age), so I'm hoping their immune systems will be able to fight it off. 3 of my chickens are older and were infected with (dry) fowl pox last year in September. I'm assuming they have immunity now, so I'm not as concerned for them.

But about the broody...

I've also read conflicting information on how quick/slow dry fowl pox spreads. Since I currently only see 3 affected, should I go ahead and separate those now? Would it do any good? And if it does, is the virus serious enough to warrant it? (If it won't affect the newly hatched chicks, then I'm not going to be as concerned and may decide to just leave them be).

I'm going to be running a fan in the evening an through out the night to deter the mosquitoes. Here are some images of two of the affected chickens, a young cockerel and a laying pullet. It's very early stages, but I guess I'm super worried it will worsen & spread. Last year was hard for one of my chickens because it was also very hot. It's warm again this year, so I'm trying my best to keep them cool.

Thanks in advance for feedback!

Attachments

• IMG_5738.JPG
    IMG_5738.JPG
    432.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5736.JPG
    IMG_5736.JPG
    395.6 KB · Views: 29
Where is the broody housed? Do you have photos of her lesions?

You have good questions for sure. @coach723 and @Eggcessive may want to chime in here, especially about the broody.
I would use caution in disturbing her if she's only been sitting for a few days. I would be inclined to leave her be for a while if the lesions aren't that bad. Then closer to hatch, I think I would put some Iodine on the lesions to help them dry on up. I honestly am not that sure how "hot" the "hot debris" (fallen off scabs) are. I've read several articles and the chicken chick sums it up - still I have to wonder, but I would err on the side of caution with just hatched chicks since Fowl Pox can be very rough on them.

The cockerel, I really only see one spot on him - the others look like injury. More may emerge over the course of a few weeks. Your pullet has more. For either of them, I would just leave them alone, let the Pox run it's course making sure they are eating/drinking o.k.
Just my 2¢

https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

I have not found pox to be horribly contagious bird to bird. So either the strain I have dealt with is not very harsh, or it isn't that easily passed that way. I'm sure it CAN be passed that way, it just hasn't been a real problem for me. Direct transmission from the mosquitos is much more prevalent. Keep feeders and waterers clean, keep things as clean as you can. If it's possible to screen the area where your broody is by putting window screen over the openings that will also help keep the mosquitos from getting to her while she is so stationary. I would be reluctant to move her also. If you screen your openings on your coop it will help also, they are more likely to be bitten while they are stationary and roosting. I just attach it over my openings with screws and washers. You can cut a rectangle of it in strips that hang down over your door in and out, so the birds can still go in and out but the majority of the mosquitos will be stopped.

I would not isolate the broody from others. The pox does not look very extensive, but it can really be hard on baby chicks. They can get it from mosquitoes or shed scabs that dry out and become aerosolized. Scabs can form around their eye and nostrils, making it hard to see food and to breathe. Hopefully this strain will be mild. Here is the Ohio Valley, I have only seen one or two pox scabs on separate hens years ago. I have used permethrin 10 spray concentrate mixed with water according to inside label instructions, to spray my coop for flies and mosquitoes, and that lasts for 30 days. I mix 38 ml per gallon of water of Martins or Gordons permethrin 10, and use with a spray bottle or garden sprayer for large areas. A pint bottle is about $8 at Tractor Supply.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gordons-permethrin-10-livestock-and-premise-spray-32-oz

Thanks for all the replies!
Where is the broody housed? Do you have photos of her lesions?

You have good questions for sure. @coach723 and @Eggcessive may want to chime in here, especially about the broody.
I would use caution in disturbing her if she's only been sitting for a few days. I would be inclined to leave her be for a while if the lesions aren't that bad. Then closer to hatch, I think I would put some Iodine on the lesions to help them dry on up. I honestly am not that sure how "hot" the "hot debris" (fallen off scabs) are. I've read several articles and the chicken chick sums it up - still I have to wonder, but I would err on the side of caution with just hatched chicks since Fowl Pox can be very rough on them.

The cockerel, I really only see one spot on him - the others look like injury. More may emerge over the course of a few weeks. Your pullet has more. For either of them, I would just leave them alone, let the Pox run it's course making sure they are eating/drinking o.k.
Just my 2¢

https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/
Thank you for your advice. Sorry if I wasn't clear, but the broody does not have lesions. I'm concerned however that she will develop them and then infect her chicks. Or that the chicks will pick it up from the surrounding environment.

I've attached a photo of the coop. The chicken in the bottom right bucket is the broody. Two of the walls are already screen, the other two are chicken wire. The chickens roost both on the bars I built for them and in the rafters of the roof. Behind me I put a fan that blows through with the intent of discouraging mosquitoes. It runs at night and in the evenings; mosquitoes are not a problem during the day.

I wasn't actually planning on moving the broody at all, which goes along with what all of you are saying. What I was trying to ask is whether I should isolate the three currently affected. I wasn't sure though if it would help the rest of the flock. Looks like then I should just leave them be?
I have not found pox to be horribly contagious bird to bird. So either the strain I have dealt with is not very harsh, or it isn't that easily passed that way. I'm sure it CAN be passed that way, it just hasn't been a real problem for me. Direct transmission from the mosquitos is much more prevalent. Keep feeders and waterers clean, keep things as clean as you can. If it's possible to screen the area where your broody is by putting window screen over the openings that will also help keep the mosquitos from getting to her while she is so stationary. I would be reluctant to move her also. If you screen your openings on your coop it will help also, they are more likely to be bitten while they are stationary and roosting. I just attach it over my openings with screws and washers. You can cut a rectangle of it in strips that hang down over your door in and out, so the birds can still go in and out but the majority of the mosquitos will be stopped.
Okay! My setup is very open, so screening everything is rather impractical. See attached image. At least though two of the walls are already screened, and around the front and the right side is a hanging screen. It's main purpose was to block the sun, but it might help a little bit against insects I suppose. And of course, I will be keeping things as clean as I can.
I would not isolate the broody from others. The pox does not look very extensive, but it can really be hard on baby chicks. They can get it from mosquitoes or shed scabs that dry out and become aerosolized. Scabs can form around their eye and nostrils, making it hard to see food and to breathe. Hopefully this strain will be mild. Here is the Ohio Valley, I have only seen one or two pox scabs on separate hens years ago. I have used permethrin 10 spray concentrate mixed with water according to inside label instructions, to spray my coop for flies and mosquitoes, and that lasts for 30 days. I mix 38 ml per gallon of water of Martins or Gordons permethrin 10, and use with a spray bottle or garden sprayer for large areas. A pint bottle is about $8 at Tractor Supply.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gordons-permethrin-10-livestock-and-premise-spray-32-oz
Yes, I am hoping it will be mild as well. Do they only get it if the scabs are inhaled? The transmission through scabs is why I was considering separating the scabby ones… perhaps that way the amount of pox in the coop could be reduced. Thanks for the tip on permethrin! I'll definitely look into that.

Attachments

• IMG_5757.JPG
    IMG_5757.JPG
    606.3 KB · Views: 25
Thank you for your advice. Sorry if I wasn't clear, but the broody does not have lesions. I'm concerned however that she will develop them and then infect her chicks. Or that the chicks will pick it up from the surrounding environment.
Ah, I think I understand now LOL
Well, it's good that she doesn't have Pox.
I do see your concern. Fowl Pox can be rough on chicks. I think I would just wait to see if she actually is affected - she may not, you never know.

Ah, I think I understand now LOL
Well, it's good that she doesn't have Pox.
I do see your concern. Fowl Pox can be rough on chicks. I think I would just wait to see if she actually is affected - she may not, you never know.
Okay, thanks! I will leave everyone be then and update you if she gets pox or if the flock otherwise recovers.

Thanks again everyone for all your help!

Well, I'm back. Several more chickens are infected, not the broody yet. I had one more question, should I vaccinate the ones not showing any symptoms? Since it's slow spreading, it might do some good? Or is it not worth it. The vaccine is 17 bucks for a vial that can do up to 1000 birds, and I was thinking I could offer my friend who has chickens to share it if the vaccine is worth anything.

Advice is appreciated, thanks!

Most of the vaccines say to vaccinate only healthy birds, at least 8 weeks of age and at least 4 weeks before point of lay. Vaccinated chickens are not supposed to be put on contaminated ground or with non-vaccinated chickens at time of vaccination. Since you have active pox going on now, it doesn't seem feasable that you would be able to accomplish that. The birds that have been exposed and recover will have resistance to it and should not get it again. Most people don't vaccinate unless they have a particularly nasty strain or wet pox.
https://www.drugs.com/vet/fowl-pox-vaccine.html

Most of the vaccines say to vaccinate only healthy birds, at least 8 weeks of age and at least 4 weeks before point of lay. Vaccinated chickens are not supposed to be put on contaminated ground or with non-vaccinated chickens at time of vaccination. Since you have active pox going on now, it doesn't seem feasable that you would be able to accomplish that. The birds that have been exposed and recover will have resistance to it and should not get it again. Most people don't vaccinate unless they have a particularly nasty strain or wet pox.
https://www.drugs.com/vet/fowl-pox-vaccine.html
Okay! I'll just wait it out then. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

Back
Top Bottom