Dry Fowl Pox lasting longer in individual birds

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Downton Eggy, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Downton Eggy

Downton Eggy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2016
    Hello and thanks in advance for reading this.

I have a small flock of 8 hens and dry fowl pox showed up about six weeks ago in one Serama. We did isolate her, but about a week ago a much younger Serama presented with early lesions, and today another young one (20 weeks) has a first ashy spot on a wattle.

I have read everything I can on fowl pox--wet and dry-- and am following the rules of good husbandry, but what I'm noticing is that the first Serama to contract STILL has scabbed lesions at seven weeks in. Some of the first lesions are gone entirely, but later ones are still very much present.

Since most everything I read suggests the pox lesions resolve in 2-3 weeks, I'm surprised my Daisy has progressed through it so slowly. She seems to be feeling well, but apart from the lesions, her wattle has not regained its pretty red color and is rather pale.

Is this duration somewhat common with dry pox? I'm a bit mystified.

In a single bird, can dry pox turn (progress) into wet pox, or are they a slightly different virus? Does the dry presentation stay dry? And once over, is the bird relatively immune from both forms?

Thanks so much. I've been reading like mad, but these questions have not been clearly answered (to my beginner's mind) in anything I've yet read.

Susannah

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by