Dry gangrene???

cluck92

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 9, 2014
Hi there, just joined BYC today! I have an Indian running duck that I am very worried about. His leg is very swollen and the foot is starting to turn very dark. Is this gangrene? Is there anything I can do for him at home? I've contacted multiple local veterinarians all of which want to start the bill the second I enter the clinic and I don't have a lot of money but I don't want the duck to suffer. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Well I caught him today because he had a long string from a feed bag wrapped around his other leg so possibly that happened to the other? It's very swollen but I did not see anything wrapped around that leg. I don't think my dogs got him either. He walks some but holds it up and lays down too.

This is a picture of the underside of the ducks foot. Leg and foot are both cold and feel like the other leg, perhaps a tad colder. Didn't find anything tied around the leg, found a very small what could be a little cut on the underside of the foot. Orange part of leg is still swollen. Did not seem to hurt when I touched the leg or foot. All the ducks are staying in the coop with that duck today by choice...usually they are all outside.

I know nothing about ducks, but I can't help but think there could be a little plastic ring around his leg that has become imbedded as he has grown. Many people put them on and forget to remove them as chicks and ducks grow. Can you do some probing around with tweezers to see if that is the case. Otherwise, I would get him to a vet right away. He may well lose that foot.

I know nothing about ducks, but I can't help but think there could be a little plastic ring around his leg that has become imbedded as he has grown. Many people put them on and forget to remove them as chicks and ducks grow.  Can you do some probing around with tweezers to see if that is the case.  Otherwise, I would get him to a vet right away.  He may well lose that foot.

I agree, looks like something is imbedded. Vet ASAP!

-Kathy

I will x 3 that opinion. There appears to be a very clear line midway down the leg in that picture. Well worth it to get to the vet immediately. I have no idea if that foot is salvageable but I'd sure get it looked at asap.

Back
Top Bottom